Solution for using iOS to act as remote between freenas and receiver (music)

Toydoll

Dabbler
Hi

Maybe not the correct forum but I'm not sure where else to put it...

I'm wondering if there's a way to stream my music files (flac and mp3) stored on my nas to my receiver and using my iPhone/iPad to act as a remote. That last part is crucial, playing music from a nas isn't hard but I haven't found a way to make my phone act as a remote.

My Receiver can act as a dlna client and thus recognizing my music library from, for example, my plex server. My receiver also has an app that allow my iphone to act as an remote, the problem is that the app is horrible when it comes to that. Clearly not designed for it...

Does anyone of you know of a solution to my problem?

An option would be to use a Nvidia Shield TV as well. If there's really no other option then a raspberry pi would work. But again, I must be able to control it without having to turn on my TV.

ThreeDee

Guru
some phones have ir sensors in them so you can use them as a universal remote and learn the programming off of your regular remote instead of the app that doesn't seem to work to well for you .. or if your stereo has bluetooth , then run plex or whatever program on your phone and use the receiver as basically a glorified bluetooth speaker

google your make/model of receiver and see if it has it's own online community and what they have accomplished with said receiver