NAS is writing every 5 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir.Robin

Guru
The recent days i've noticed that my primary NAS (9.2.1p1 and 9.2.1.p2) is writing to disk all the time, even when no clients are doing anything.

gstat shows the activity.

I have nothing going on, but still... every (about) 5 seconds it writes to the pool.
Tryed to disable CIFS to be sure, but the writing continoue.

What is it doing? Shouldn't it be idle when there is no client activity?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd drop into IRC and ask one of the developers about this. I'd be interested to see the answer myself...

Sir.Robin

Guru
Errh... do you mean you will do that? :)

Not sure if this has been going on before on earlier versions. Just noticed. Also, this is occuring on my secondary aswell.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm on 9.2.0 and I don't have that problem.. so *I* can't do that. That's why I said you should go to IRC and see if a developer will help. If you show up in the IRC I'll see if I can get someone's attention though.. I'm in the IRC more often than not.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I'm in :)

Sir.Robin

Guru
So i got answer on this from jkh on irc. The writing is because Syslog is moved to the system dataset. This can be turned off. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ah! That makes sense! Thanks for finding out!

Sir.Robin

Guru
Sorry!

Yes, untick "Use system dataset for syslog" under System - Advanced.

Then i did a reboot and all activity seized on my pool. :)

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well it worked out fine. Although the USB sticks aren't made for a lot of writing... like SSD's.

How long it will last i don't know but i did not want the constant disk rattle myself.
Besides... my FreeNAS is a VM not running on a USB stick.

Although i most likely would have done the same if it were. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
the syslogs write to a ramdisk normally and not to the USB stick. Don't let the location of the logs fool you, it's really a ramdisk copy of the USB stick.

joeschmuck

Old Man
the syslogs write to a ramdisk normally and not to the USB stick. Don't let the location of the logs fool you, it's really a ramdisk copy of the USB stick.
Now that is good to know too.

Status
Not open for further replies.