What devices are reading from or writing to the CIFS share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I'm certain that there is a very elementary answer to the question above but I have not been able to find the answer thus far. I see the drive activity light flashing but I don't know what other computer(s) are reading from or writing to the FreeNAS (9.10.2) server. I would like to upgrade from U2 to U3 and presume that a reboot may be needed. I don't want to interfere with any writes going on at this time. How can I determine what devices are reading from or writing to the CIFS share? What generally happens if writes are underway when a reboot of the NAS is initiated? Will the device writing to the NAS generally keep trying until the FreeNAS server again becomes responsive?

Dice

Wizard
The system does some interaction with your pool, unless you've configured the system dataset to live on another location.
If the drives are fully blasting away, there might be SMART tests or a scrub running. Those don't start unless you've scheduled them to and should therefore be easily identifiable.
If you know there are no users interacting with FreeNAS, you'll be safe to update.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Thanks. This helps. Is there a way via the UI or the Shell to see the IP or MAC addresse(s) of machines connected to the CIFS shares though?

Dice

Wizard
Not that I know of.
Can you allocate a time of the day where no users <should> be online?

NAS-Plus

Explorer
The NAS is primarily used as a backup repository so it is sometimes hard to know how long each backup takes to complete. Also, some backups run multiple times per day.

Dice

Wizard
...does it cause too much trouble if a backup cannot complete due to FreeNAS being offline?

nojohnny101

Wizard
You can run SMB status from the terminal after you SSH in.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
I tried this and it responded smbd status (y|n|e|a) ? I can't tell what this means.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
smbstatus is the command you want.

NAS-Plus

Explorer
Excellent! This shows me what folders are being written to which in turn tells me which computer is sending the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.