NAS build - ASROCK J4205-ITX

Evertb1

Guru
Intel is not exactly making a secret of what TDP (Thermal Design Point) stands for. Intell supllies that number to make it possible to find a cooling solution with the right capacity for the chip. That's all. Of course there is a relation between power consumption and heat production of the chip. And no the T was not really misleading. The T was an indication that the chip was a bit powered down. A bit lower max power consumption but also a bit less computing power. Meaning that with the exact same average load there will be hardly a difference between the 2 versions of the CPU. That's why I think the extra cash was not worth it.

ullbeking

Dabbler
And no the T was not really misleading.

I said it can be misleading if people don't read up on what it means. There are lots of people who misunderstand the "-T" completely, i.e., they don't do any research and end up misleading themselves.

The T was an indication that the chip was a bit powered down. A bit lower max power consumption but also a bit less computing power. Meaning that with the exact same average load there will be hardly a difference between the 2 versions of the CPU.

Thank you very much, Wise Old Elf. That was EXACTLY what I said.

tomsk

Cadet

ullbeking

Dabbler
@tomsk Do the research, read the hardware guides on the website, follow them, don't use cutting edge hardware (this always lead to trouble, especially network interfaces), and don't take curmudgeonly additudes personally. Invest money proportionally to your time and the importance of your data. And have a backup regime figured out (you can start working on the plan now).

Maybe your first NAS should just be an experiment until you've figured out all of this stuff. ECC RAM is good. There are loads of highly strung enterprise type people on this forum, so take their advice but if you're not in enterprise, if all you're doing is saving disposable data that you don't care about, at first, then don't overinvest. Remember: regardless of how amazing your NAS is, your backup regmine is more important.

Evertb1

Guru
FYI, over at https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...or-supermicro-x10-lga1150-motherboards.23291/ there is a mention of "No AMD" being hardware advice for FreeNAS. I don't know if it's still valid.
It's a fact that AMD based systems for a long time have been giving troubles with FreeNAS. Mainly because of sparse support I think. And there is a lot of experience available with the Intel platform. So advice and help for poblems on the Intel platform is a lot easier to get. That being said, I know for sure that there are some forum members with good results with AMD based systems. I would say that "no AMD" is not as true as it once was. I thinks it's worth the trouble to do a search on AMD within the forum.