Freenas build recommendation for ASRock D1520D4I Mini ITX Xeon D-1520 Motherboard

theone

Cadet
Hello !

This is my first post in this forum so hello to all of you :)

I have been reading this forum a lot and have been contemplating of building my own NAS for quite some time. The information available online is overwhelming I must
say for a beginner like myself :). Therefore I am writing this post to take some help from experts here. I have already read the hardware recommendation guides in the forum.

I have the following configuration in my mind keeping in mind a low budget.

Motherboard: ASRock D1520D4I Mini ITX Xeon D-1520 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic X Series 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU cooler: Not sure if I would need one.

Unfortunately, I have already bought the case since I found it too tempting at a price I got so I am kind of bound to a Mini-iTX configuration I am afraid.

Thanking you in anticipation.
M

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
I get really advice the largest modules the board supports so you can easily grow in the future without tossing sticks. 1 16GB would be better or 1 32GB on boards that support it.
PSU: SeaSonic X Series 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
More power than you need but wint hurt anything.

Unfortunately, I have already bought the case since I found it too tempting at a price I got so I am kind of bound to a Mini-iTX configuration I am afraid.
You should think deeply about what expansion you may want in the future. For example, will you ever want SLOG devices? 10GB NIC? Tons of extra drives? If so I suggest a mini ITX board with 10Gbuilt in, one or two m.2 slots, and a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. Otherwise you may ne stuck unable to grow with your board and have to replace it. That'll be more expensive than replacing a case I bet.

theone

Cadet
I get really advice the largest modules the board supports so you can easily grow in the future without tossing sticks. 1 16GB would be better or 1 32GB on boards that support it.

More power than you need but wint hurt anything.

You should think deeply about what expansion you may want in the future. For example, will you ever want SLOG devices? 10GB NIC? Tons of extra drives? If so I suggest a mini ITX board with 10Gbuilt in, one or two m.2 slots, and a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. Otherwise you may ne stuck unable to grow with your board and have to replace it. That'll be more expensive than replacing a case I bet.

Hello and thanks for your reply.

Upon further research I found this motherboard that has a M.2 but doesnt have a 10G NIC:

Asrock Rack D1521D4I

I also narrowed down on:
SUPERMICRO X10SDV-4C+-TLN4F-O
SUPERMICRO MBD-M11SDV-8CT-LN4F-O

So my part list seems to be :

MB: Asrock Rack D1521D4I
Case: Node 304
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4
Disks: WD Red 4 TB
PSU: CORSAIR RMx Series RM550x
Additional Fans/CPU coolers : Not sure if I need them

SLOG: I already have an intel ssd dc s3700 which I might use

Will this fly? :)

Regards,
M

subhuman

Contributor
theone said:
Any help is highly appreciated.
Because, well, someone has to say it....
The motherboard and CPU support ECC- so why didn't you select ECC RAM?

I don't know what you're paying for those Reds, but HGST 3TB drives can be had for $50 if they can fit your needs.
Additional Fans/CPU coolers : Not sure if I need them
I.... don't know. With how the single exhaust fan is located in the case, you probably will get sufficient cooling for the CPU, BUT... I can't see the HDDs getting good airflow in this case. Yeah, there's a pair of 92mm fans up front, but where are they breathing from? I see some tiny ventilation holes along the front top, but that's it. Once the plastic front cover is on the case, the fans are slapped up almost right against it- a disturbing recent trend in case designs- that means the cover is choking off airflow to the fans.
If it was me, I'd go with a Fractal Design Define R5 (leaving the front cover off) or a Cooler Master HAF 912. But that's me, and I do understand that a lot of people care more about looks than performance.