my Script to Beep MB buzzer if pool degraded

SMnasMAN

Contributor
i was surprised there is no audible alarm on a pool degrade (ie disk failure). I come from the enterprise / hw raid world and audible alarms are everywhere bc they are the most reliable (vs email or sms alerts) - for the most important alerts (of which, for FN there is no more important alert). I searched pretty hard on google and forums, and could not find anything like this. Depending upon your noise level, it may be hard to hear the buzzer , so do test this (just change DEGRADED to ONLINE in the script). i have 4x sm servers on a rack and was able to hear the buzzer nicely (fans on them ~3k rpm). even when i set 2 of the server to run their fans at 6k rpm , i could still hear it (however at full, 8k rpm fans on 2x servers, i could NOT hear it).

After thinking about it, i think the reason ixSys does not include an audible alarm in freenas is they cant guarantee it will work as users have different MB / hardware (so some wo any buzzer on mb), so they dont want to create a scenario where users expect to hear an alarm (when ixSys is hard pressed to guarantee that an alarm/buzzer will universally work due to users' differentiating hardware). ie on their TrueNAS paid line, there is a blue/red light on the chassis bezel that preforms this function (however they should still have an audible alarm imo). Im not against email alerts, but it should be audable alarm + email alerts. email can be un-reliable, requires LAN+internet (often), and expecting users to look at a 3am email report *every single day* is unseasonably burden sum (depending upon how you freenas is used).

another , even remote/offisite / different room- buzzer solution, would be to use a cheap mikrotik router($20-$50), with a on pcb buzzer (most have them), and then have the FN server send a snmpget request to the mikrotik's IP , which will trigger a script to run on the MT (which will sound the mikrotik's buzzer at various hz / levels). if anyone is interested in this, reply and i can give u all info to do it. you could even have the mt do a short different hz beep if it cant reach the FN box/boxes.

so i made this rough script to every 5min scan zpool status for the word DEGRADED, and if so then keep beeping the motherboard buzzer. I have only tested this on supermicro MB buzzers (tested on X8 , X9 , X10 sm MBs- works and is loud enough over fans) - i am using the standard freebsd method for beeping the bios/mb buzzer : printf "\007" > /dev/ttyv6 , so it should work on other MB types w on-board (or dongle) buzzers. Please lmk if im missing some other terms to grep for, or if there is a better way to do this.

I schedule cron (via gui, for persistence) to run this script every 5min, if it should fire, the alarm sounds for 3min, then 5min later will run again for 3min (until u disable cront task, or pool is not degraded).

1- scp the script to your FN box, or copy paste via vi/ee - (either put on a pool, or i put it on /root/ if you have recent version of FN with /root/ persistance)
2- chmod +x scriptname.sh

3- add gui cront entry for every X minutes. ( i do every 5min , so it keeps repeating till if fix HDD)
(if you want to test if buzzer works on your MB, just copy paste this into ssh/cli:
printf "\007" > /dev/ttyv6

(should hear a short beep)

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
if zpool status -v | grep -q DEGRADED; then
echo Degraded Found
logger buzzerAlarm a pool is DEGRADED SOUND MB BUZZER
# run alarm 1800 times every .1 sec = sounds beeper for 180s / 3min exactly
    for i in {1..1800}
    do
    sleep 0.1
    printf "\007" > /dev/ttyv6
    done
# send to local and remote log
logger buzzerAlarm script JUST FINISHED fireing for 3min bc pool DEGRADED
else
echo phrase not found
# only occasionally (1 in 12 chance) send a log msg showing this script is running/working
if (( RANDOM % 12 )); then
logger buzzerAlarm script is running every 5min log msgs are random time
fi
fi

a cool side effect of logger is that the web gui will keep scrolling the DEGRADED message every 3 -5 minutes when degraded. nice to grab attention (in case you miss the red alert in top right, the more alerts the better on a degrade imo)

loggerCapture.PNG

pls lmk any feedback, thanks!

Last edited:

SMnasMAN

Contributor
am i missing someting (ie does this type of feature already exist somewhere?) or is there a better way to do a beep / alarm?
thanks

msturtz

Cadet
I landed on this thread looking for this as well. I'm working with an HP MicroServer Gen10 -- it doesn't seem to have a buzzer. I wonder if anybody has tried to do this using an external noise maker like this (or even an interface to a dry-contact that could turn on a buzzer)?

My use-case is simple. I'm a home-user, on a cable-modem. I probably COULD make it send email, but it would need monitoring/testing to make sure it works (for example, every time my password changed it would stop working). Since I'm in the house almost every day, an audible alert would be easy, simple, reliable.

Another option would be integration with a service that would let it send an email or a text message directly. Even still, in this case I'd prefer the beeper.

dktech

Explorer
I have created a script file called dk.sh in the pool and added it to execute every 1 minute in the scheduled task, the task also runs successfully, but the buzzer doesn't sound when the pool is degraded. When I use printf "\007" > /dev/ttyv0 to test, I can hear the sound.

Excuse me, where did I go wrong?

sretalla