this is my first configuration of FreeNAS 11.1
Mobo: x11ssh-f
m2 ssd: toshiba THNSN5256GPU7 256gb
ram: 2x samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB 16gb
hdd: 4x 6 wd wd60efrx
cpu: intel xeon e3-1230
case: fractal node 804
psu: evga 650w g2

1st: i create usb of FreeNAS 11.1 with FreeNAS and connect it to NAS, I enter the bios and set it up on UEFI (Supermicro tell me to do it for setup FreeNAS on m2 ssd) but in bios usb pen is recognized with UEFI USB:NAME OF PENDRIVE but don't boot with it... if i boot with dual mode (legacy+uefi) FreeNAS boot but don't see m2 ssd on device to install it...

2nd: when i power on NAS I feel a TIC from hd for 30 second and after stop the noise...

have you suggestion for solve my problem?

thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english

Last edited by a moderator:

Turboproc

Dabbler
Having almost the same MB, see below, I used the IPMI client to install FreeNAS, hence no need to use an USB stick at all. Have you tried this?

sasy90

Cadet
I try now to use IPMI to install FreeNAS, but when i choose to setup , don't see M2 ssd but only HDD that i installed...

sasy90

Cadet
My problem is that I don't see M2 SSD on BIOS , and so in FreeNAS I can't install on it...

Turboproc

Dabbler
Questions:
  • did you read this thread ? It's about the same subject.
  • is it the BIOS not showing the M2 drive or the FreeNAS installer not showing the M2 drive. Small but essential difference.

sasy90

Cadet
i bought ssd toshiba because is tested 100% on this motherboard...why i don't see it in bios?i update the last version...on mb don't power on led green for nvme ssd...

rogerh

Guru
nobody has suggestion?
If it is the *exact* model number Toshiba that is approved for that *exact* motherboard then either the MB is defective or the BIOS needs updating or the SSD is defective. Assuming it as been reseated a couple of times so the connection is good.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I never tried but I believe IPMI virtual CDROM only supports BIOS boot, not UEFI.
Works fine on my X10SLM+-F (and probably my X11SSM-F, but I can't say for sure that I've tried it).

sasy90

Cadet
Somebody has news for this problem...i don't see led of m2 on mb...is normal?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Are you sure you're installing with UEFI? You can't boot from NVMe using BIOS compatibility mode.
i don't see led of m2 on mb
LED?

sasy90

Cadet
I see on manual of Supermicro a led green near m2 socket to indicate state of m2. I mount ISO of FreeNAS with IPMI in UEFI mode state. Where is the problem?

rogerh

Guru
i see on manual of supermicro a led green near m2 socket for inficate state of m2..i mount iso of freenas with ipmi in uefi mode state...where is the problem?

Have you tried removing and inserting the SSD module a few times? Are you sure this is the right type of SSD for the motherboard? Apparently according to the other thread mentioned above some SSDs that emulate SATA don't suit some Supermicro motherboards. If the above does not help and the LED doesn't light and the SSD cannot be seen by BIOS or OS then either the SSD is defective (can you try another?) or the motherboard is defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.