First FreeNAS build X11 motherboard problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

immcpat

Cadet
I finished building my server yesterday, and it will turn on to the BIOS but I can not get it to boot from my flash drive which has FreeNAS 11.1 OS on it. The mother board is a SuperMicro X11 SSH-F. I read one post about updating the firmware, my motherboard is currently running R2.0a. But also found another post that says you can not update the firmware unless it is running from an OS.

I tried updating the firmware anyway last night before I read the second post. I downloaded the updated firmware (zip file) on to the same USB drive as the OS and extracted the files from that zip on to the USD drive. I restarting it several times with no luck of updating the firmware. As the end state I would like to run this server as a PLEX media server and also have the operating system run off of the SSD.

The hardware for the build consists of:

Motherboard: SuperMICRO X11SSH-F-O

Power supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4 ghz LGA 1151

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

HDD: WD Red 3 TB

SSD: WD Black 256 GB M.2

TIA

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You need to boot into a DOS environment, like FreeDOS, to run the flashing tool.

Turboproc

Dabbler
Hi wondering whether you need to update at all. What happens when you try to boot your motherboard via the IPMI interface with the FreeNAS boot image? This worked without any hassle when I built my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.