First Build, No 3TB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssgtob1

Cadet
Hi all,
I am new to FreeNAS and am putting together my first build. I bought a server ($71):

Supermicro CSE815 case
Supermicro XD8TS-LN4F motherboard
8 GB Registered ECC (Kingston :( )
250 GB Drive

I also ordered:
24 GB Registered ECC (Micron) 6 x 4GB
Micro USB Flash Drive 8 GB for OS drive
16 GB SSD for Jails (Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Plex, Mythtv)

I am now looking to populate the 4 drive bays and was going to order 3TB WD red drives but I saw a posting about the LSI controllers and my motherboard has the LSI 1068E. I don't believe that the controller will support 3TB drive, correct? If not I will order 2TB drives and can expand to a storage shelf later.

mlinton

Dabbler
I generally have a hard time trying to identify whether or not a controller is going to support drives greater than 2TB. However, based on the era of that card, I’m going to say probably not.

You have kept the cost down on your box pretty well. If you are going to buy 3 TB Red drives, then I would invest the extra money and get an M1015 and flash it. They are available on eBay all the time and they work GREAT!

Mark

mlinton

Dabbler
My super micro back plane didn't have any “brains” – it’s just a pass though. So, when I installed my M1015, I used cables like this: that ran between the controller and the back plane. Unless you have some type of SAS expander in there, it’s going to come down to the capability of your controller.

mlinton

Dabbler
That box has 1 expansion slot, correct? As long as it's available, you can use it. The M1015 is an 8x PCIe card (if I remember right)... The cables on my card plugged into the "top" of the card, so check the spacing for clearance.

You may need to check and make sure you get the correct bracket, full or half height.

Mark

Robert Smith

Patron
The specs for Supermicro CSE815 list:
1x full-height, full-length PCI expansion slot (Riser Card Required)

The motherboard has both PCI and PCI-E slots; I am not sure which way the riser card has to face in these chassis, may want to look into this in more deatail.

FX159

Dabbler
The LSI1068E supports 3TB drives but they have to be SAS drives! No SATA!

We have such a controller running in the office with 4TB drives.
It works... somehow, but I would suggest it is better to acquire a new controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.