BUILD FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

prod

Dabbler
ATM I have HP N36L Microserver with 4 x 3TB raidz1 FreeNAS 9.3. I have run out room so it's time for upgrade.
Looking at the following Parts

Norco RPC-4224
Norco 120mm Fan Wall Bracket
SAS to SAS Cables
LSI SAS 9211
16GB SSD Drive
Kingston 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 ECC Registered
FSP 850W Aurum Pro Series Modular PSU

Haven't decided on Motherboard or CPU yet but might just find something cheap on ebay.

Will be stating off with around 8 disk then buy another LSI SAS 9211 and some hdd drives.

thinking some seagate 5tb hard drive for now.

marbus90

Guru
if noise isn't an issue, look for supermicro 846e16 on ebay. they come with redundant PSUs and a SAS Expander backplane, so only 1 HBA is needed. some sellers also offer it with an X8 based supermicro board, look that the board ends on -F for IPMI. Some don't come with an HBA, some with an Adaptec 5805 which has to be swapped for an LSI 9211 HBA, and few are found with the 9211 already included.

16GB RAM for a 8x5TB raidz2 is borderline, 32GB RAM may work for up to 100TB - but well, you listed registered RAM, so that's Xeon E5 area anyway with enough room to expand.

Whats your use-case for that system? media library with some plex transcoding?

prod

Dabbler
Thanks for reply noise is issue for me as it will be in lounge room. I will have a look at that case you suggested. This will be used mainly for media data and maybe some iscsi data files

Status
Not open for further replies.