SOLVED My Experience with SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-F and FreeNAS 9.10

Status
Not open for further replies.

kranzel

Explorer
Hi All,

I am by no means claiming to be an expert or encouraging anyone perform the following. I am just putting this here in case others have a similar issue.

I built a new NAS with the following MB.

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-F

Upon initial install of FreeNAS 9.10 things looked okay, but I kept having weird issues with Jails/Plugins and network speeds. I spent a lot of time verifying my network, turning VIMAGE on/off on my Jails, reinstalling FreeNAS and Plugins at various points, etc.

The issues that really stood out was if I had more than one jail with VIMAGE enabled, loading of the Plugins screen, or the directory tree to the left of the GUI would hang forever. Pinging of the Jails would be intermittent at best. Also, with VIMAGE off, my Plex system would not collect any metadata. So this was an issue.

Also, large file migrations were extremely slow.

As mentioned above, after checking all my network connections, including using the same cables on my existing server to verify their functionality, I was at a loss. I knew the NIC's between my old a new system were different, both intel based, but I didn't have an extra Intel 1000CT lying around to test with.

As a last ditch effort, I upgraded to FreeNAS 11 RC1 Stable and instantly all my issues have gone. I suspect this is around the version of FreeBSD in FreeNAS 11 having better support for my hardware. But again, I am not an expert. i am just putting this here in case others have similar problems. That being said, it is not a good idea to run production equipment on an RC. As a home user, it is a little more acceptable. until my Plex server goes down and my children hunt me down like a dog. :)

Anyways, just thought I would share my experiences.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I haven't heard that problem before with your board but it was your experience. Thanks for posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.