Multiple Boot Options

CrownedMartyr

Dabbler
I've just installed the latest version of TrueNAS SCALE from scratch on a mirrored pool across two SSDs and I'm scratching my head at the fact that I see not two, but four boot options:

Screenshot 2022-07-12 200758.png

I've installed TrueNAS Core and an earlier version of TrueNAS SCALE on the same hardware and I've only ever seen the two options for "UEFI OS" - these options for "TrueNAS" are new to me. I even completely formatted the drives, confirmed none of those boot options remained, and reinstalled it only to get the same result.

I'm not convinced this is an actual problem, but in the interest of understanding how this works - does anyone know if this is expected behavior and if so, why? Does it matter which boot option I set the server to use by default?

Did you install TrueNAS as legacy BIOS or UEFI?

Pick the boot option that corresponds to how you installed TrueNAS

CrownedMartyr

Dabbler
Did you install TrueNAS as legacy BIOS or UEFI?

Pick the boot option that corresponds to how you installed TrueNAS
UEFI. Are you suggesting that the boot options that don't specify UEFI are old legacy options? I suppose I could just delete them?

UEFI. Are you suggesting that the boot options that don't specify UEFI are old legacy options? I suppose I could just delete them?
Just change the boot priority to boot off the two UEFI mirrored disks in the boot pool, and disable any other boot devices.

CrownedMartyr

Dabbler
Okay, thank you for the advice. I still don't understand why/how they got there in the first place, but I'm thankful for the sanity check that it's okay to ignore them.

You originally asked whether or not I installed it as legacy BIOS or UEFI. I realize now that I may have assumed that it installed as UEFI, but I don't recall ever being given that option. Is there a way to confirm this?

joeystacks

Cadet
Okay, thank you for the advice. I still don't understand why/how they got there in the first place, but I'm thankful for the sanity check that it's okay to ignore them.

You originally asked whether or not I installed it as legacy BIOS or UEFI. I realize now that I may have assumed that it installed as UEFI, but I don't recall ever being given that option. Is there a way to confirm this?
It happens whenever there is an update. If you update/upgrade then it will create a new entry and not remove the old one. If you try to boot from it you'll get a grub error script and have to force your system to restart

CrownedMartyr

Dabbler
It happens whenever there is an update. If you update/upgrade then it will create a new entry and not remove the old one. If you try to boot from it you'll get a grub error script and have to force your system to restart
@joeystacks , thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I see this behavior even on a clean install and ALL options do boot the system. It def. confuses me but I haven't lost any sleep over it!

joeystacks

Cadet
@joeystacks , thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I see this behavior even on a clean install and ALL options do boot the system. It def. confuses me but I haven't lost any sleep over it!
It makes my GRUB take forever to load (almost 5 mins on an ssd) so if you or anyone finds a solution to clean it up, please let me know!