Docker unseen options

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,
I have a docker container that I would like to use with the Truenas scale gui.
I use the last version 21.03-MASTER-202110306-232914
There are two options I don't see. can you please tell me if it is possible to do it or not?
In the command line (docker run I have
--link db_nextcloud:db_nextcloud
that will ensure that the container starts after db_nextcloud.
There is also
--expose 80 that will be used by the container jwilder/nginx-proxy (

In a docker-compose it is the option
depends_on:
links:
and
expose:
Is there a way to do it with the GUI of truenas scale)

Thank you
Marc

ornias

Wizard
There is no "docker" in the UI, it's a simplified UI around Kubernetes.

Anyway:
Link:
- Doesn't exist in kubernetes, there are multi-pod helm charts which do the same. But those are not available in the "easy add docker" UI and most likely will never be because they require a considerable bigger UI.

depends_on:
- I don't think this is even needed in k8s, a healthcheck would suffice

expose:
- Similair to nodePort

If you really want advanced features (like multipod deployments) you should be using stock helm-charts or SCALE Apps.

Marc Allard

Explorer
Thank you.
I guess if I use my own yaml they won't survive a backup / restore neither an upgrade?

MArc

waqarahmed

iXsystems
iXsystems
@Marc Allard it would, however officially we only intend to support charts deployed by us via the UI or the API to ensure we have a backup in place in case we have to make a breaking change with kubernetes design down the road - so then we can restore the charts installed via TN.
For your case, it seems you want to use nextcloud and we have it available as a catalog item already in the UI ? You can perhaps just use that ?

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,
Thank you again for your time.
I tried to use my method because it uses nginx-proxy, and letsencrypt-nginx-proxy-companion so I have SSL for any docker container (that uses the virtual host environment) and it is easy to use (I add 3 parameters and my Letsencrypt certificate is made (hor the address in the variable...)I don't bother doing anything for hosting...).

Following your comment, I have tried to use the one from the apps to see how it works.
In my first test I couldn't manage to have it working. it was stuck at step 1 (with postgres) after a moment (30 minutes) I decided to remove a container created with the GUI (the container was stopped by me) and the installation continued

After that I had to add the server to the trusted domains
And after that I have the screen with the installation
where I must enter the admin password and the parameters of the database so I guess something went wrong because of the other container). I can try again later if you want

BTW, when you select a pool before installing applications, it is not shown in the GUI (the next time you choose the pool, in the list it is not empty. Perhaps it was the problem.

I have deleted all containers and started again from scratch and it worked immediately (so I guess there is a conflict with my container (from gui) and nextcloud.
The only problem I have with the app is that there is no Lets'encrypt

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,

Btw, I have seen that you can't choose where the database informations are saved (for postgres) in the application. How can I do a backup of a Nextcloud container?

Thank you

tuuxx

Cadet
Hello Marc,

good question! My first thought was, it is the "Nextcloud data directory" in the settings but I never found the path (/var/www/html/data).
My other question is, how has you configured Traefik, the reverse proxy, so that your nextcloud container is using ssl?

ornias

Wizard
Btw, I have seen that you can't choose where the database informations are saved (for postgres) in the application. How can I do a backup of a Nextcloud container?
Totally missed your post, sorry.

You cannot choose because with SCALE the storage location for the DB and config files is managed by SCALE. Because SCALE makes automated backups and restores when you update or revert an update. Allowing to move these makes apps problematicly more complicated and leads to users loosing data because they expected to be able to revert an update. (which is then not possible anymore)

You also don't backup a container, you can only backup the storage that is attached to the container, which is stored under the ix-applications dataset on the pool you selected for your Apps to be stored in.

A recursive snapshot or backup of that dataset should do the trick.

good question! My first thought was, it is the "Nextcloud data directory" in the settings but I never found the path (/var/www/html/data).
Those paths are paths inside the container and that datapath does NOT include the database.

My other question is, how has you configured Traefik, the reverse proxy, so that your nextcloud container is using ssl?
Marc never stated he used Traefik.
The nextcloud App is an official App and does not support the Traefik App from TrueCharts (or any Ingress for that mater).

If you want support for configuring the Traefik app from TrueCharts (though we do not supply an ingress capable nextcloud App currently), you can view the support/contact options out our website: https://truechart.org

tuuxx

Cadet
Thank you, for your answers.

You also don't backup a container, you can only backup the storage that is attached to the container, which is stored under the ix-applications dataset on the pool you selected for your Apps to be stored in.
Perfect, that means everything important (data+config+database) is stored in my case under "/mnt/cloud/nextcloud"?!
Just for me, to get this right.
1621704232311.png

Marc never stated he used Traefik.
The nextcloud App is an official App and does not support the Traefik App from TrueCharts (or any Ingress for that mater).
That's right, i've made an assumption based on the previous conversation. Sorry for that!

If you want support for configuring the Traefik app from TrueCharts (though we do not supply an ingress capable nextcloud App currently), you can view the support/contact options out our website: https://truechart.org
So, you say at the moment my usecase (nextcloud container with https/ssl) is not possible (or only with a lot of experience and effort)?
If that's the case, I'm totally fine with that. I'mean Scale is alpha.

Marc Allard

Explorer
Hello,
Thank you for the informations.
On Mar 7, 2021 , you say that it will be possible to use Truecharts to have SSL with nextcloud. I will wait for an Ingress capable nextcloud app before trying to do it?
you talk about truechart.org but it is truechartS.org. Am I correct?

As long as I can backup the ix application dataset all is fine for me

Thank you again
Marc