SOLVED Moving backup from old server to new FreeNAS server via rsync and ssh

Status
Not open for further replies.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I have an old droboFS that I am retiring now and replacing with a freenas server. The freenas server is up and running everything has been moved over except my backups taken with backintime from my Arch Linux box. In order to keep the integrity of the backup I have to move it with rsync. I was suggested to me to do this via ssh to the freenas server so I have turned on ssh on my freenas server but I am unsure what path I should set so that the backup is put in the cifs Media share I have created. This is what I am trying to run

rsync -avhH --info=progress2 /media/drobofs/Backup ssh://freenasuser@freenas/path

The path part in the ssh address what should be put there? Is it is just /mnt/freenaspool/Media/

Media is the name of my cifs share BTW.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
  1. You don't need to prefix the destination with ssh://.
  2. You do need a colon between the user@host and the path.
  3. If the pool name is freenaspool and the dataset name is Media, then the path you gave is correct.
  4. Your Windows file attributes might not survive the journey 100% intact.
Success with rsync requires studying the documentation; in my case, every time I use it.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
  1. You don't need to prefix the destination with ssh://.
  2. You do need a colon between the user@host and the path.
  3. If the pool name is freenaspool and the dataset name is Media, then the path you gave is correct.
  4. Your Windows file attributes might not survive the journey 100% intact.
Success with rsync requires studying the documentation; in my case, every time I use it.

Why can the ssh:// be omitted? How does it then know to connect via ssh to my freenas box?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Why can the ssh:// be omitted? How does it then know to connect via ssh to my freenas box?
rsync uses SSH for remote access by default. Prefixing with "ssh:" tells rsync to connect to a server named "ssh". You really do need to study the rsync documentation, there's no way around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.