SOLVED Backing on a FreeNAS using backintime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
OK, glad to see there is some sanity and logic left in the world.

Yes, I would say you should have separate datasets for backup (unix) and Media (smb), if that will work for you.

So if you create a clean new backup dataset and make it unix, can you just revert Media to SMB and hopefully things will work?

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Media is already smb but the permissions are screwed up. Originally I made it smb with Windows permissions but tried to change it to Unix and things got worse.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
This is strange. I just setup freenas again. I deleted all datasets and smb share and destroyed pool. I also removed my user and group. Now I created everything from scratch. I just used the wizrd again. When I create the smb share I cannot set it to unix permissions and if I try to change the permissions afterwards I get a this operation is not allowed e.g.chmod doesn't work. So smb has to be Windows only?

Glorious1

Guru
This is strange. I just setup freenas again. I deleted all datasets and smb share and destroyed pool. I also removed my user and group. Now I created everything from scratch. I just used the wizrd again. When I create the smb share I cannot set it to unix permissions and if I try to change the permissions afterwards I get a this operation is not allowed e.g.chmod doesn't work. So smb has to be Windows only?
Windows/SMB permission type needs Window shares. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, or why you want to create a SMB share and set it to unix permissions.

Just create your Media dataset, give it Windows share type and Windows permission type, and use Windows shares to access it. Don't try to chmod in that dataset. For your backup set, make it all Unix. Is there some reason that won't work?

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Windows/SMB permission type needs Window shares. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, or why you want to create a SMB share and set it to unix permissions.

Just create your Media dataset, give it Windows share type and Windows permission type, and use Windows shares to access it. Don't try to chmod in that dataset. For your backup set, make it all Unix. Is there some reason that won't work?

No that is what I want to do. I missunderstood what you wrote earlier. What do you mean by "and use Windows shares to access it"?

Glorious1

Guru
Create the dataset. Then at the bottom of Storage > Volumes, make sure:
Edit Options > Share type - set to Windows
Change Permissions > Permission type - set to Windows

Then create a share for the dataset:
Sharing > Windows (SMB) > Add Windows Share
In the dialog, set the path to the new dataset, and give the share a name. That is the name you will use to log into it from your Windows computer.

Caveat - I'm just guessing here. I've never used Windows or SMB with FreeNAS.

André Fettouhi

Contributor
Many many thanks for all your help. I got everything up and running again just need to copy my data over again and set up the ssh key again.

Status
Not open for further replies.