Moved system from one room to another, now getting checksum error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bermanator98

Cadet
Just going to preface this with I know I'm an idiot for not backing up the config, so no need to roast me on that. I'm still an amateur with more advanced computing, such as server and NAS environments, so bare with me.

I moved my desk from one location to another, and with that I also moved my servers along with me. While I was moving, I didn't want to damage the USB stick that FreeNAS is installed on, so I unplugged it after I shutdown the server. Once it was in its new location, I put in the USB stick (not sure what port it came out of) and turned it on. I had it hooked up to a monitor so I could make sure it was all working fine. I got into the Grub menu, and booted into FreeNAS via Normal Bootup. I was then greeted with:

error: checksum verification failed.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
error: only ELF kernel supports module.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

I was talking to a friend who knows a little bit about it, and he said I might be able to recover the config, but I am unsure how. Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated. I can confirm that the PC can detect the USB stick, it was showing up in the BIOS as a boot option.

I did find this link with some instructions, not sure if this will still work. I do think I have the correct ISO version saved, so if this does still work, I should be good for the version.

Again, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Stux

MVP
The config is backed up to the system dataset, which is probably on your pool.

Also, when you try a reinstall to a USB the installer will offer to reuse the config if it can. You could try reinstalling to the USB.

USB drives fail. FreeNAS can mirror the install across two USBs, that way if one fails... you can just replace it.

Of course if you backup your config, you can just reinstall too.

Bermanator98

Cadet
So I got it figured out. I just went to reinstall it, and did an upgrade. After some time, voila, it works! I ordered another 16GB USB stick so I can set up the mirrored install, thanks for that suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.