SOLVED checksum verification failed error on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

digity

Contributor
My FreeNAS USB boot drive has been throwing read/unrecoverable errors. I mirrored it a couple days ago hoping that'll make a clean copy just in case. A couple hours later I kicked off an update to 11.1 update 6 and the progress bar stalled at "installing base", I believe. After a couple of hours I just reset the power on the server. It booted up but the FreeNAS console showed 10 or so errors about the boot partition and booting hung (I forgot to take a picture of it). I reset the power again and this time I get the following errors:

Code:
error: checksum verification failed.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
error: only ELF kernel supports module.

Press any key to continue...

I press any key, get dumped to the Grub menu, I hit Normal startup/boot and get the same error again.

I figure the failing USB boot drive has totally failed, screwed the update and is causing this error. I figure the new mirrored USB drive is shot too. Is it possible to get my FreeNAS installation back somehow? If so, how?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is it possible to get my FreeNAS installation back somehow? If so, how?
Yes, it will certainly be possible.

If you have saved a backup of your config, it will be super-easy to just install a fresh key and restore the config from the GUI.

If you haven't, it's then a question about how much config you had that really matters to see if it's worth trying to get the config off the dead USB(s). If there's nothing much in terms of shares or jails, then you should be good to go by just re-doing your config after importing your pools/volumes.

If you really need/want your config back, you would probably be best to use a linux install with zfsonlinux installed to open the boot USB and browse to the config db file (/data/freenas-v1.db) (cite- https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/reinstall-without-config-file-backup-please-help.51500/)

Best of luck with it.

digity

Contributor
SOLVED! Looks like that newer USB in the mirror was just fine. I changed the BIOS to boot from that USB instead of the failing USB and FreeNAS booted right up. The upgrade to U6 didn't complete which I guess is a good thing. I'm pulling two identical 16 GB USB drives from another project and eventually mirror them in to replace both current USB drives just to be safe and then attempt to upgrade to U6 again.

Thanks for your reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.