Checksum error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

After some blackouts I had at my home, my installation of FreeNAS started to give some checksum errors on the boot partion (I use latest FreeNAS 9.3 with a 16 GB usb Kingston stick).

So, I did a scrub, but the checksum error remained:

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An
attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.
action: Determine if the device needs to be replaced, and clear the errors
using 'zpool clear' or replace the device with 'zpool replace'.
see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-9P
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h1m with 0 errors on Sun Dec 21 02:55:09 2014
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 1

errors: No known data errors

zpool clear removed the error. The error reappeared after another scrub, so I decided to format the stick. Formatted the usb stick, installed FreeNAS from scratch, uploaded config db, everything is working fine.

For a day!

1 hour ago I get an email from my box with the same error. Another scrub later, another clean, another scrub the error disappeared.

I have 3 x 1 TB WD RED in RaidZ1, 8 GB RAM ECC.

Should I run some memory tests, could it be the RAM (I don't think so, but ...).

Should I change the usb stick?

Thanks for your help!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You probably have a failing disk and should run smart tests to figure out which disk it is that is failing. Then replace that disk.

Hi,

The error appears on the boot partition, freenas-boot, which should be the usb stick. Should I be worried about the drives?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If it's your boot drive I would look at replacing it. USB drives a cheap so replacing is almost easier than trouble shooting

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was hoping, though, some other people might have gotten my problem and there was something I could do tonight to fix it :) .

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pschatz100

Guru
I have had three usb sticks go bad in the last two years. When I updated to 9.3, I did a clean install onto a new stick. This has the additional benefit of providing me with a backup installation should I need it. In six months or so, I'll probably do a clean install onto another stick - then I'll have two bootable 9.3 images.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What USB sticks are you using? I think they should last longer than that.

pschatz100

Guru
The first two were old ones that I had laying around. Probably crap - but I didn't know then what I know now. The third one was a Patriot usb3 8Gb model that I was using for jails. Lots of reads and writes on that one. Currently, I'm booting from a Mushkin usb3 8gb stick that is plugged into a usb2 port. Been fine for a year, now.

The point is that usb sticks are not reliable for constant reading and writing. Many of them actually get hot with too much activity. As a boot device, I think they are OK - but one just needs to be aware they are prone to problems, especially when writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.