Move to TrueNAS Core 12 - some questions

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Hi all

Recently I built a small FreeNAS 11.3 machine just for home use. However, it had some issues with the boot pool which was made up of 2 WD Green SSDs. TRIM was an issue. As the machine was freshly built and didnt really have anything on it yet bar a few test files for Plex, I havent done too much with it and its stoof powered off for a few weeks while life took up more time than I would have liked.

I was just reading up on the TRIM issue now and working out how to fix it with a view of sorting it out tonight or over the weekend. Thats when I saw that TrueNAS 12 is released.

So, my questions are:
1) Im thinking it would be better to just scrap the 11.3 build and start over with a fresh 12 build. There no major data I would lose etc so thats not an issue. I presume I can just do a fresh install and overwrite the existing 11.3 install.
2) At install, can I still disable TRIM through the configure boot options, then also in the GUI once installed?
3) If I do 1 & 2 as above, I take it I can also create a new storage pool with the existing 4 drives I have? Again, losing jails etc that are on them currently from the 11.3 build is fine. I can put those on again and transfer the little data back to them thats on currently. I just want to know if I can somehow flatten the storage pool already on them and create a new one in the 12 install.

Hope that makes sense and sorry if they are noob questions, but Im pretty green to all this and learning on the job. Go easy!

Thanks in advance.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
1) Im thinking it would be better to just scrap the 11.3 build and start over with a fresh 12 build. There no major data I would lose etc so thats not an issue. I presume I can just do a fresh install and overwrite the existing 11.3 install.
Yes

2) At install, can I still disable TRIM through the configure boot options, then also in the GUI once installed?
Don't rush to do that as the TRIM support that should be in FreeBSD 12 might mean it's actually OK to stay on (and it's generally good for performance if it does)

3) If I do 1 & 2 as above, I take it I can also create a new storage pool with the existing 4 drives I have? Again, losing jails etc that are on them currently from the 11.3 build is fine. I can put those on again and transfer the little data back to them thats on currently. I just want to know if I can somehow flatten the storage pool already on them and create a new one in the 12 install.
If you like what you already had, just save the config from the 11.3 install before you shut it down, then install over it with 12 and try restoring your config. It may just be able to pull in your pool and all the jails too.

If it doesn't work, reset the config, destroy the data pool and do as you describe.

Harrisonm65

Dabbler
Awesome. Nice and easy :)

Don't rush to do that as the TRIM support that should be in FreeBSD 12 might mean it's actually OK to stay on (and it's generally good for performance if it does)
Ah really? Now this is interesting. Dont suppose you know of anywhere I may be able to check this out? Especially seeing as its the WD Green with the problematic (to FreeNAS anyway) controller

If you like what you already had, just save the config from the 11.3 install before you shut it down, then install over it with 12 and try restoring your config. It may just be able to pull in your pool and all the jails too.

If it doesn't work, reset the config, destroy the data pool and do as you describe.
Theres literally a Plex jail on there and thats about it. Couple of media files just to test it out and thats that. I do have a config backup anyway, so may try to restore that. If it doesnt work or is problematic, then I can always trash the storage pool and start it afresh.

sretalla