zfs settings TrueNAS 12

EtienneB

Explorer
Hello,
I updated FreeNAS 11.3 to TrueNAS 12 yesterday and I noticed I have/had issues with SMB sharing.
Individual shares which had auxiliary parameters set:

vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr

where causing me an issue of being read-only on my Macbook with Catalina.

However, when I remove thouse auxiliary parameters and just put them in the SMB service itself, then the shares are perfectly connected again.
Especially the zfsacl is causing issues when I have that one set at the individual shares.

To be honest, I have forgotten why I set these aux param in the first place :smile:

Any thoughts what would be optimum for TrueNAS 12 with regard to the auxiliary parameters?
Documentation is a bit lacking in this respect (unless I am looking wrong, FreeNAS has all the settings explained in detail).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
@anodos has been doing a great job of building everything in by default, so additional settings shouldn't be required for most use cases anymore.

EtienneB

Explorer
Great, that would make things certainly easier. I started removing those aux param :smile:

I also see now some folders have:
fruit:encoding = native
vfs objects = catia fruit

I know I did that to get better compatibility with / and : characters in filename/foldernames over SMB.
I guess that would still be required?

EtienneB

Explorer
Great, that would make things certainly easier. I started removing those aux param :smile:

I also see now some folders have:
fruit:encoding = native
vfs objects = catia fruit

I know I did that to get better compatibility with / and : characters in filename/foldernames over SMB.
I guess that would still be required?

As an update, with the parameters above I do need to add to those shares:
vfs objects = zfs_space zfsacl streams_xattr

Else they can't be mounted. I guess, streams_xattr is not loaded automatically when fruit is enabled.