Truenas Core 12 documentation that looks anything like the old Freenas documentation

nikinp

Contributor
Dear all
Thank you firstly for being such a supportive community.
I am looking to build a new system based on what I understand to be the latest software 'Truenas core 12'. I was hoping to find some documentation along the lines of the Freenas https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U5/freenas.html. But the Truenas documentation doesnt look anything like or contain anywhere near the same content
Is there an equivalent detailed documentation for Truenas core 12?

Many thanks in advance

LarsR

Guru
The Documentation for Truenas 12 is getting a major overhaul right now. Sadly it's not finished

nikinp

Contributor
That's rather unfortunate. I've always been on Freenas so far, so am worried about buying and building a rig on something I havent seen or know how different it is from Freenas. Any pointers?
My main uses are:
- Plex
- Nextcloud
- Remote synchronisation of snapshots/backups to another Truenas/Freenas system

Thanks in advance

Etorix

Wizard
There would be nothing wrong with staying on FreeNAS 11.3 until TrueNAS 12 has an extensive documentation…

LarsR

Guru
If you're already using the new Gui and not legacy Gui there should be no problem for you to upgrade to 12.0.
Plex and Nextcloud should be the same on 12.0 and 11.3
As for Remote sync im not sure, because i dont use it myself and have no experience in configuring it

Castigo

Dabbler
- Remote synchronisation of snapshots/backups to another Truenas/Freenas system

Hy! The remote sync is very straightforward now, remote or local it's the same GUI and it's really just a matter of pointing to the remote machine. I am sure there's a video by Lawrence Systems on YouTube that details the procedure: look through here (sorry can't remember the exact video)

A final note, I do get your reaction to the new docs compared to the old ones, I do not like them either, but there's good information in there. It's just a little bit more hidden. I'm sure the guys are doing a good job in making it more accessible.

Ciao