Move disks between two Freenas system

nikinp

Contributor
Firstly, thanks to all that contribute on this Forum -its superhelpful.

As per my signature, I have 2 Freenas systems.
System 2 was where I started.
System 1 is what I have just put together.
I want to use disks (with their data) from System 2 (2 disk Mirror) and use them in System 1 (as the only disks in the system). The system 2 disk at this point is simply a small test drive.

Given both are Freenas, is there a simple way to 'swap' the physical drives and have the System 1 disks operate on the System 2 setup.
Thanks in advance

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Given both are Freenas, is there a simple way to 'swap' the physical drives and have the System 1 disks operate on the System 2 setup.
That will be fine.

Depending on exactly what you plan to do (move the OS/boot drive over or not), you may need to first export the pool on system 1 and then import it on system 2 (if you will leave the OS/boot drive in system 1).

If you move both OS and data drives across, no need to do anything else.

Arwen

MVP
That will be fine.

Depending on exactly what you plan to do (move the OS/boot drive over or not), you may need to first export the pool on system 1 system 2 and then import it on system 2 system 1 (if you will leave the OS/boot drive in system 1 system 2).

If you move both OS and data drives across, no need to do anything else.
Corrected that for you. The original poster had wanted 2->1.

Note that while you can move your old boot drive from system 2 to system 1, the network configuration may not come up properly. Not a real problem. Just get on the console and fix it.

nikinp

Contributor
Corrected that for you. The original poster had wanted 2->1.

Note that while you can move your old boot drive from system 2 to system 1, the network configuration may not come up properly. Not a real problem. Just get on the console and fix it.
Thanks both.
I won’t be moving the boot drive over.
Another question - will jails on system 2 be preserved and recognised on the system as part of the export/import?
Many thanks in advance

sretalla