SOLVED Add disks from previous installed FreeNas System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perino

Dabbler
How are you copying the image to the USB? Changing the .usb to an iso is very strange! It might work but it also tells me you don't know what you are doing and should maybe be paying someone else to do this for you. Did you verify the download using the hash provided?
Iam using a Windows program called Rufus. Usually, there are no problems. Beside this program, I can open the iso images to see the contents. And I see, that several directories are missing, which are available in other images eg. usb images. And yes, unbelievable, but this workaround does its job.

rogerh

Guru
How convenient would it be to restore all your data from backups? I don't think you can do what you want without having a second copy of all the data at some point.

Perino

Dabbler
Not real convenient, because 24TB restoring from slow Backup Archivs will take near one week.

But the major question is, how to remount existing filesystems in Freenas? Usually this shouldnt be a problem!

And this solution should be focused! Because if also other guys come up with the same problem, the are interested in finding a solution for that problem.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Not real convenient, because 24TB restoring from slow Backup Archivs will take near one week.

But the major question is, how to remount existing filesystems in Freenas? Usually this shouldnt be a problem!

And this solution should be focused! Because if also other guys come up with the same problem, the are interested in finding a solution for that problem.
It's covered many times in docs and on the forums...

rogerh

Guru
I don't see how you can go wrong just copying the old 9.2.1.9 .usb image to a usb stick and booting from it. Unless the original installation was modified in some way to get it to boot. Could it be a problem with the usb stick you are using having something like gpt instead of mbr - I'm afraid I'm a bit vague on this. The fact remains you either have to leave the original data as UFS or copy it somewhere.

mjws00

Guru
OP's 2014 install thread cautioned against the RAID controller, and also mentioned 9.3 dropping UFS support.

I see a few problems:
1. Earlier advice was summarily ignored.
2. Failure at fundamental levels. If you can't even install, how can we help with the problem?
3. There is a failure to differentiate between HARDWARE RAID and SOFTWARE RAID.
3. There is very little actual information listed. 'bring up a freenas system' -WHAT VERSION
4.'the boot wasn't completely clear' - could mean anything
5. I have some disks with UFS - Configured HOW? Do you have one big RAID disk on hardware as per your last thread? Did you use the UFS volume manager to create RAID?
6. Language barrier

My gut says you have a big hardware RAID volume that you formatted with UFS and accessed via FreeNAS. The good news is it doesn't sound like you've damaged it yet. If the UFS import sees it and will import it that's great. 9.2.1.9 and earlier will mount and serve UFS.

Start with the basics. List the actual hardware and exact version of FN. Post the output of 'dmesg', 'camcontrol devlist', 'gpart status' in code tags. The only way to get good help is to provide good information.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm going to watch this thread to see how this story ends. For some of those items listed above, I don't want to give any advice because I fear the OP will destroy his data completely by accident. In reality this should be a quick fix, maybe 30 minutes tops by anyone who is somewhat familiar with FreeNAS to get the new USB flash boot device imaged and then the data imported and shared on the network. As mentioned above, the language barrier is going to be difficult, the familiarity of FreeNAS is going to be the biggest hurdle along with ensuring the OP does exactly as directed. I think if advice is given, it should be as if you are taking a NUB (Sailor term) and giving him a task. You need to write down each step and be very specific so there is no doubt what the person is doing. "1) Insert a 4GB or larger USB flash drive (stick drive) into a USB (not blue) port."

This is very easy to do and is covered in the user manual and it's a basic function. If this were a problem and hadn't been fixed, no one would be using FreeNAS. You either are unclear of how to use it, your installation image is messed up, or you have a configuration issue that is unique.

Provide the data requested above so we can see what you are dealing with.

Perino

Dabbler
OP's 2014 install thread cautioned against the RAID controller, and also mentioned 9.3 dropping UFS support.

I see a few problems:
1. Earlier advice was summarily ignored.
2. Failure at fundamental levels. If you can't even install, how can we help with the problem?
3. There is a failure to differentiate between HARDWARE RAID and SOFTWARE RAID.
3. There is very little actual information listed. 'bring up a freenas system' -WHAT VERSION
4.'the boot wasn't completely clear' - could mean anything
5. I have some disks with UFS - Configured HOW? Do you have one big RAID disk on hardware as per your last thread? Did you use the UFS volume manager to create RAID?
6. Language barrier

My gut says you have a big hardware RAID volume that you formatted with UFS and accessed via FreeNAS. The good news is it doesn't sound like you've damaged it yet. If the UFS import sees it and will import it that's great. 9.2.1.9 and earlier will mount and serve UFS.

Start with the basics. List the actual hardware and exact version of FN. Post the output of 'dmesg', 'camcontrol devlist', 'gpart status' in code tags. The only way to get good help is to provide good information.

Thank you for your response, Iam trying to give you all answers of open questions:

1. In this process we have passed several stages, so Iam not sure which advices have been ignored
2. My first goal is saving the existing data to a second different storage device. Thats why I need direct access to the filesystems. Meanwhile the system have been booted,
so I would like to use this situation to get access to the data for transfering it.
3. The systems is running with hardware Raid (PERC 700)
3. Running version now = http://download.freenas.org/9.2.1.9/RELEASE/x64/
4. Yes, the boot is only a luck right now. I cannot boot from the stick normally. Also not from the disk, where I've tried also an installation. Only a combination of both, makes it possible to boot the system. In the mid, after getting my IP-Adress the system hangs for about 20min. Maybe the sticks are not ok, I dont know. Right now Iam happy to have it up, with the goal to save data to a second storage, clear the whole machine and do a complete fresh installation. (Iam also wondering, beacuse this is not my first installation of server systems, but I dont know this phenomen).
5. The configuration is:
mfid0 10G (formerly used for booting OS)
mfid1 2.1 TB (formerly used for iSCSI)
mfid2 2.1 TB (formerly used for iSCSI)
mfid3 4.3 TB (formerly used as CIFS Share)
mfid4 2.1 TB (formerly used as CIFS Share)
mfid5 13.2 TB (formerly used as CIFS Share)
all this discs are configured on RAID Mgmt Level. The filesystems are created later on FreeNAS with UFS Volume manager
and everything should be there, were it formerly was (exept. mfid0)
6. Sorry for language barrier, Iam not english native speaker, but I do my best

Thank you for helping and all valueable advices!

rogerh

Guru
Congratulations on getting to the stage where you can retrieve your data!

joeschmuck

Old Man
So you do have access to your data and are moving it to another device? I just want to be clear because that would be very good news.

As for what to do after you get all your data saved off... I'm not sure I would recommend FreeNAS just because of the difficulties you are having just making a boot drive work properly, not sure it is you or your hardware. If you go for a FreeNAS system, ensure you read the system requirements and the user manual.

Perino

Dabbler
So you do have access to your data and are moving it to another device? I just want to be clear because that would be very good news.

As for what to do after you get all your data saved off... I'm not sure I would recommend FreeNAS just because of the difficulties you are having just making a boot drive work properly, not sure it is you or your hardware. If you go for a FreeNAS system, ensure you read the system requirements and the user manual.

Yes Joeschmuck, right now I have access to my data. Finally the question arises, should or can I go further with FreeNas?
The Dell Server provides me a Raid6. As mentioned, FreeNas doesn't like Raid Systems. So what would be the best choice?

joeschmuck

Old Man
The best choice is up to you. If you want to run the RAID controller card then I would not use FreeNAS and I'd find a different software solution. Or you could rebuild a system compatible with FreeNAS if you desire to use FreeNAS. FreNAS is not the only game in town however it's one of the more popular free NAS software applications.

Perino

Dabbler
The best choice is up to you. If you want to run the RAID controller card then I would not use FreeNAS and I'd find a different software solution. Or you could rebuild a system compatible with FreeNAS if you desire to use FreeNAS. FreNAS is not the only game in town however it's one of the more popular free NAS software applications.
Meanwhile I created a second FreeNAS Filer based on an HP Server without RaidCards. So I hope, I will get more lucky with that system.
Now Iam struggeling with the data transfer :-(
I created a new thread under https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...freenas-leads-to-100-cpu-on-rsynclient.34467/

Thank you for your support! The old topic we can close.

Status
Not open for further replies.