rsync between 2 FreeNas leads to 100% CPU on rsync-client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perino

Dabbler
Hi,

Iam doing a rsync task between my old FreeNas System 9.2.1.9 to my new FreeNas System 9.3.
While Iam wondering about the slow network traffic during the sync process, I can see that the rsync client cpu is around 100% used by the rsync process.

The rsync client system has an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz with 8GB RAM and a fast storage subsystem (filesystems are based on UFS) which is normally not so bad.

The average traffic performane during the rsync task, is around 10 MB/s. When I check the network performance between this two systems on OS Level, I can get results up to 941 Mbit/s, thats also great.

I have to transfer lots of TB. But with this setup, this will end up in a neverending story. Is there something, that I could do for performance improvement regarding rsync on FreeNas?

Thanks!

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
rsync is slow because it checksums everything. This is a cpu problem like you have pointed out, it's at 100%. If you want it to be fast use scp.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If you have enough free SATA connectivity, you might be able to import your stuff directly from the old filesystem.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can consider disabling checksums if that helps, but also look at what you're doing for network communications. If it's over ssh, for example, the encryption there may be hurting you too.

Status
Not open for further replies.