Dabbler
I have 2 Freenas on the same LAN
BoxA 192.168.100.218 Freenas Ver 8.3.0
BoxB 192.168.100.70 Freenas Ver 9.1.1

I want to copy the data for some folders on BoxA to BoxB

I have read and tried to follow the information that is found at
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rsync_Tasks

I have some simpel questions:
Since the hosts are on the same LAN do I have to set this up via SSH? The last section of the link above (Configuring Rsync over SSH Mode Between Two FreeNAS® Systems) must this be in place ?

Can I see the progrez of the Rsync some where? How can I see this?

The reson for me to do the Rsync task is that I want to have a backup on Box A before I proceed to upgrade to 9.1.1

Dusan

Guru
Since the hosts are on the same LAN do I have to set this up via SSH? The last section of the link above (Configuring Rsync over SSH Mode Between Two FreeNAS® Systems) must this be in place ?
It's up to you. You can either use the SSH mode or the module mode (http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Rs...Module_Mode_Between_Two_FreeNAS.C2.AE_Systems)
Can I see the progrez of the Rsync some where? How can I see this?
See my post here: how can you see if an rsync job is running or finished?

However, for a full copy between two FreeNAS systems a ZFS replication will be faster than rsync.

N00b

Explorer
Since the hosts are on the same LAN do I have to set this up via SSH?
The answer is no. Using Rsync alone should be enough. You can also sync via CLI :
If you have not setup the rsync module on the FreeNAS box
Code:
[sudo rsync -WhavP /path/to/file/to/send  freenasuser@freenasip 192.168.x.x:/path/on/freenas/to/copy/to/

If you have ssh keys set up on the freenas then you can add -i /path/to/sshkey to the command for password-less operation. Or you will be prompted to provide password.

If you have a rsync module then just replace path on freenass with ::rsync module (note the double :: )
Code:
[sudo rsync -WhavP /path/to/file/to/send  freenasip say 192.168.x.x::rsync module

bdacasc

Dabbler
Dusan and N00b!
Plenty thx for educating me.

I think I will have a go at the Rsync as described in the document from Freenas.org
Better keep it simpel before I go in and mes it up in any complicated CLI commands

But if I put my skills at chalenge and did the N00b commad
sudo rsync -WhavP /path/to/file/to/send freenasuser@freenasip 192.168.x.x:/path/on/freenas/to/copy/to/

This would only be run once and I would see what exactly files would be copied the cli interface?
Correct?

N00b

Explorer
Yes that's correct! The P option will show progress of each file as it copies. You could add 'n' to do a dry run to see what would get copied without actually copying files!

PS: just realized dusan has already covered the ssh /no-ssh part. Apologies for the overlap!

bdacasc

Dabbler
I think I may expose myself to the challenge!
That is to try and make it through the CLI, then follow N00bs advice
This is because I think it's unclear to me what actually copied over when I do it via the FreeNAS documentation.
I tried it and move a directory of ISO files as a test and it seems to work but I have to be sure, I have to compare the files afterwards. I find it difficult to see the status of what happens when I follow the documentation from FreeNAS
Wish me luck
:)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'll give you the standard warning.. you are taking some risk by choosing to not use the GUI... Generally if the GUI 'can' do it you 'should' do it.

bdacasc

Dabbler
!!Sweet Juice of Success!!
This is the out put from my dry run

rsync -WhavPn /mnt/Tank1/iso root@192.168.100.70::ISO
sending incremental file list

sent 38.68K bytes received 121 bytes 25.87K bytes/sec
total size is 52.42G speedup is 1350998.62 (DRY RUN)

But out put is better when I don´t add the module name.
I can see more when I add the path

Status
Not open for further replies.