Mounting storage to vm

zierbeek

Explorer
Hi all,

After a lot of tries to get the jails working to install the -arr's, I switched to a vm on ubuntu server 20.04.
I installed it on my ssd with the idea of having the media on a dedicated 2tb harddrive.

How can I mount the 2 tb harddrive to the vm with the right permissions? I created a pool media with a dataset plex and several subdatasets. They were all created as smb
Code:
media
    -plex
        -movies
        -series
        -downloads

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If your intent is to dedicate the pool to the VM, create a zvol and mount it under devices in the VM settings. (you won't be able to see the contents of it from TrueNAS though, only in the VM).

If you want to use the storage on the TrueNAS from both inside the VM and directly, you will need to make an NFS share from TrueNAS and mount it in the VM.

zierbeek

Explorer
If your intent is to dedicate the pool to the VM, create a zvol and mount it under devices in the VM settings. (you won't be able to see the contents of it from TrueNAS though, only in the VM).

If you want to use the storage on the TrueNAS from both inside the VM and directly, you will need to make an NFS share from TrueNAS and mount it in the VM.

I think I'm going for the second option. I already created the datasets with each ticked to 'smb' option.
Do I need to create a user for the vm? so I can set permissions, or is that not needed?

sretalla