Freenas 8 on Ubuntu VirtualBox harddrive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boker939

Cadet
Hi,

Ive run into a issue with my freenas setup, Im running FreeNas 8 on an ubuntu desktop using VirtualBox.

I added a physical harddrive to the Ubuntu machine and then used the VirtualBox settings to add a new .VHD file and placed it on this new harddrive. The VHD file was set to a static size 2tb, which was the same as the new harddrive placed in the machine hosting the freenas VM. THen using the VirtualBox window, I created a snapshot of the freenasVM. This was working very well for a long while and I had made a windows share from this drive using the freenas webui. Was working great.

Recently tho I had to turn the machine off for some time and since then when I open up the VirtualBox application to turn on the FreeNAS VM, I get the message "One of more virtual hard disks, CD/DVD or floppy media are not currently accessible. As a result, you will not be able to operate virtual machines that use these media until they become accessible later.".

The harddrive in the Disk Utility manager says its in a healthy state however it looks to be partitioned very strangly, there are two partitions with exactly the same name which I used when I originally formatted the physical harddrive, and the all the partitions sizes added up go way over 2TB.... one even says something like a negative 8digit number...

I did hit the Create Snapshot just after I first added the harddrive and created the VHD file on it, would this cuase this strange harddrive paritioning?

Im not sure what else has changed since it was turned off. The Virtual machine with the freenas installed will not start anymore as the drive file cannot be found.

Is there some way I can retrieve the .VHD file I had originally created on this harddrive? I would really like to be able to get my data off this drive.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.