You Need Permissions ! (CIFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.E.D

Dabbler
I have had many troubles with this FreeNAS box I built but this one has stumped me, I can setup a account, import a harddrive, then setup a CIFS share with that drive, I fallowed the guide on the FreeNAS website, now the problem started when I added a zfs Raid1 then added a share, I got a message on my PC saying that I needed permissions to copy a file to it, now the weird part is if I go into a folder that is already there, ex. I have a folder called _Junk_ I can copy files from folders and put files in folders but in the drive it self (y:\)(NetworkMapedDrive), I solved this problem once by resetting to factory defaults on the Console I setup the first harddrive and it ran fine but as soon as I made a second Share with another drive I got the error again, I am completely stumped I have every permission setup correctly to my understanding,

System

Board:Intel D865PERL
P4-2.8GHz
2.5 GB RAM
1 TB Sata
1 250 GB IDE (not setup do to errors above)
2 160 GB IDE (not setup do to errors above)
Gigabit NIC PCI
Random video card I found

If you need anymore info just ask,

Nathan

EDIT: FreeNAS 8.2 R1 is what I am running,

Caesar

Contributor
sounds like a permissions issue... what permissions do you have set on your volume? Also what authentication do you use for your shares?

ProtoSD

MVP
Yes, and this problem (and solution) has been asked MANY times. Do some more searching, a little extra reading might answer other questions you're likely to have too.

L.E.D

Dabbler
Well now I cannot even access the FreeNAS server, I can still connect to it from the I.P (192.168.1.118) in a browser but as far as connecting to it with my PC, I can't even do that anymore,

Protosd: I have been searching I just never find the right answer so that's why I came here,

Caesar: The volume Permissions are the same as the ones in the video I followed but here they are.
Owner (User) : Guest
Owner (group) : guest
Mode Owner can read write and execute
Group can do the same
Other can only Read and Execute
Type of ACL : Unix
Set permission recursively : Unchecked

For the Shares Authentication in the menu CIFS under Services it is set to Local.

If you have anymore questions just ask

Nathan

Caesar

Contributor
I had a permissions issues with CIFS and it turned out to be bc of the way Microsoft connects to shares. Try setting those shares to 777, write a test file, and then check the owner of the test file. In my case Windows was using a completely different account than I expected.

Caesar

Contributor
oh and try using google to search the forums. I have found that google is much better than most built in forum searches.

Status
Not open for further replies.