SOLVED VM issues

tophee

Explorer
Hi,

I've been playing around with VMs recently and having some issues in getting things going. My aim is to have one VM running Pi-Hole and another running a folding@home client. I was struggling to Ubuntu 18.04 Server as others have on this board have identified. Now 20.04 LTS is out I thought I'd give it a go.

Installing Ubuntu 20.04 went through easily and I was able to put Pi-Hole on and all seemed to work as expected.
Trying to install a second instance of Ubuntu 20.04 didn't work. I had planned to give it 3 cores and a couple of Gigs of memory on a Virt0 harddrive.

With 3 cores the installer failed when it attempted to scan the disk - VNC dropped out and wouldn't reconnect. Dropping the core count to 2 the installer progresses further but I get a brief IRQ error appearing on the install screen:
do_IRQ: 0.39 No irq handler for vector
then if I look at the more detailed view all I see is a mass of errors and nothing progresses further.

Several attempts left me low on memory so I decided to reboot the system (successfully initially - I could get to the Freenas web GUI which then crashes as) and this caused an IRQ storm slowing my home network to less than a crawl.

Any ideas on how to install Ubuntu for a second time and stop VMs causing IRQ storms? I have looked into IRQ storms previously but was not able to solve the issue beyond not running VMs.

I'm running a W3680 Xeon in a Supermicro X8STE, 16Gb EEC ram, a 10TB pool (5x2Tb drives).
Freenas 11.3-U2.1 running fairly vanilla - just some SMB shares and NextCloud all working as they should.

Many thanks

KrisBee

Wizard
Got the same irq error during final stage of curtin installer, so it looks like bhyve + Ubuntu 20.04 is no go at the moment. Why not just swith to debian to run pihole or a folding@home client?

tophee

Explorer
Hi Kris, Perhaps I should just give up on Ubuntu for the time being and go to Debian. Thanks

KrisBee

Wizard
I was curious to see what might work. Started with a fresh fully update install of 18.04.4 using an ubuntu-18.04.4-live-server-amd64.iso and upgraded to 20.04 after installing "update-manager-core" and doing a "do-release-upgrade -d". This appears to give a working 20.04 install. But waiting for 20.04.1 in three months might give more stablity after the first round of security and bug fixes have been made. Will try installing from ubuntu-20.04-live-server-amd64.iso again when I have time.

tophee

Explorer
I was successful in getting Debian installed though I had that issue where the vm won't reboot once the virtual CD from is ejected, which I was able to fix by using the advanced install and checking the "Force grub-efi installation to the removable media path" that you mentioned in another post.

KrisBee

Wizard

McD

Cadet
> do_IRQ: 0.39 No irq handler for vector

That suggests it is an issue for which there will apparently be a fix in an upcoming 11.3-U3.

Try booting the kernel with pci=nomsi as a workaround.

tophee

Explorer
Hi guys, Thanks for your input.

@KrisBee will certainly try another Ubuntu install at some point using the legacy 20.04 server you linked to.

@McD - I'll keep an eye out for that for 11.3-U3. When I next try a VM install I will add the pci=nomsi if the error reoccurs.

Using the advance install I have been able to get everything working (or so it appears). I managed the IRQ issues by dropping the USB port count in the BIOS and creating lagg0 for the two NICs on my motherboard.

TnT

Cadet
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was running into this issue too - no matter if I used VirtIO or AHCI, running on FreeNAS 11.3-U1. I upgraded to 11.3-U3.2 and I can now boot my VMs again. Odd issue.