Fedora 4.15.x kernels won't boot under bhyve (4.14.x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glennmcg

Cadet
Not sure how to start diagnosing...

I'm running FreeNAS 11 stable.
Hardware is ASRock C2750D4I Mini ITX Server with 16Gb memory.

All has been working fine for months.
I've had an instance of Fedora (kernel 4.14.18) running under bhyve working during this time.
But after a kernel update to 4.15.[346], the guest never finishes booting.

The last line output visible through a VNC connection is '1.34 no irq handler for vector'.
Then the screen goes blank and never progresses.

Any hints on where to start digging?

Thanks

glennmcg

Cadet
No progress. I've had to revert to 4.14 kernels, and to try out new 4.15 when they show up.

Junicast

Patron
I experience the exact same behaviour. When using 4.14.14 system boots but 4.15.6 or 4.15.9 won't boot (Fedora 27).

abollaert

Cadet
I have the same issue, though not using Fedora but rather Arch. Also had to revert to 4.14. While looking at the console (VNC) I saw some SATA timeouts passing by (got timeouts on identify commands, not a SATA protocol expert though).

So I switched to virtio, but to no avail, I just got a different error. On 4.14, SATA emulation and VirtIO work as expected.

It's hard to debug since the error seems to be storage related, so there's no logs except for the VNC console.

D

dlavigne

This is a bhyve bug that the upstream developers are aware of, though I don't know the ETA on the fix.

abollaert

Cadet
Thanks, I suspected as much.

Just for reference, does bhyve as a project have a bug tracker or anything?

I remember looking at the mailing list not finding anything resembling this issue when I first encountered it. I also couldn't find anything on the FreeNAS bug tracker either (granted, maybe I should have filed a bug myself).

djf_jeff

Dabbler
I was hit by the same issue today when I upgraded my Fedora installation. First time in a long time that I had a VM not boot because of a simple update.

Junicast

Patron
Agreed. Someone should open up a bug report.

Rickinfl

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.