Can't acess Plex Libary - No / or media to add files

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcarlsson

Cadet
Hello! Im in need of assistance, I have now tried getting plex to work for the last 48 hours and now im about to give up on freenas. I literately cant get it to work. I have searched everywhere and tried everything i dont what im doing wrong. The big issue im having is that Plex can't find my Media, Movies TV-shows etc. My folder is not showing up when trying to add new media. I wont work with manually add the address either.

Running Freenas 11.1 Stable

Setup: Jail and Plex - Updated.
* Storage source (6TB Harddrive) is set to mnt/Media/Plex/Movies
* Destination (128GB SSD) is set to .../media
Both mounted and allowed guest access.

* I have tried setting a plex user and group
* reinstalled everything, deleted everything, set the privileges via Windows SMB, followed several different guides.
* Tried installed plex via plugin didn't work either.

If someone could help me out, im so out of options. Its so frustrating when I cant find the answer. Thanks in advance!

garm

Wizard
Det är inte speciellt svårt

The plex user need to be part of a group that exists in FreeNAS and the owning group of your media dataset needs to be the same group.

tcarlsson

Cadet
Det är inte speciellt svårt

The plex user need to be part of a group that exists in FreeNAS and the owning group of your media dataset needs to be the same group.

Thanks for the reply. And sorry for my lack of knowledge but could you elaborate just a bit?

garm

Wizard
There is nothing wrong with how you mounted the dataset.
To make a mounted dataset viewable in a jail for a service, the user running the service need read rights. Plex is being run by a user called plex who is member of a group called plex (unless the plugin is set up differently).
To make a dataset viewable for this user you either have to make it member of the group owning the dataset or granting everyone read rights to the dataset. You set access to the dataset in FreeNAS, not the jail.

tcarlsson

Cadet
There is nothing wrong with how you mounted the dataset.
To make a mounted dataset viewable in a jail for a service, the user running the service need read rights. Plex is being run by a user called plex who is member of a group called plex (unless the plugin is set up differently).
To make a dataset viewable for this user you either have to make it member of the group owning the dataset or granting everyone read rights to the dataset. You set access to the dataset in FreeNAS, not the jail.

I did install the plugin again to check if it created a user named plex, but I can't find it neither on group or user. Or Im i thinking of it wrong?

garm

Wizard
The plugin is a FreeBSD jail, which is sort of like a virtual machine (it’s really not).
The jail has its own users and groups. You won’t see them in the FreeNAS GUI. But if you grant everyone read access to the dataset you mount in you jail, the plex user should still be able to use it.

Personally I always set up dedicated groups for my services, make sure each applicable jail has the same groups (with the same GID) and then add service users to those groups.

If I have a web server who reads content provided by users through a share, I make sure both the web server user and the user is members of the same appropriate group

nojohnny101

Wizard
what @garm is saying is that you have to add either a user in the GUI of freenas named "plex" (with the same uid as the "plex" user in the jail has) or you can create a group in the GUI of freenas called "plex" (with the same guid as the "plex" group in the jail has) and then either give that user/group in the GUI of freenas permission to read the dataset where your media is stored.

that will allow the plex jail to see your mounted data.

tcarlsson

Cadet
Thanks for all the help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.