Mounting datasets in VM

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerXtrm

Dabbler
I have an Ubuntu VM running within FreeNAS 11 with PLEX installed and ready to go. All I need now is access to the datasets all my media resides on. I've searched high and low but can't find a decent answer to what should be a very straight forward process. How do I mount those datasets within the Ubuntu VM? I've tried a number of commands from threads I've found but non of those have worked so far. Can anyone give me a step by step? Would be much appreciated!

LotLits

Dabbler
You need to use NFS to share the dataset and then mount the NFS share within the VM. You can't, to my knowledge, directly mount a dataset to a VM.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Why run Plex in an Ubuntu VM, when it runs natively in FreeNAS/FreeBSD just fine?

Just curious.

TigerXtrm

Dabbler
Why run Plex in an Ubuntu VM, when it runs natively in FreeNAS/FreeBSD just fine?

Just curious.

Because relying on the plugin has caused me enough trouble as it is. My current Plex plugin simply refuses to update. And as I understand it jails are being phased out in favor of actual VM, no?

scrappy

Patron
When dealing with CPU intensive transcoding and for the ease of mounting media datasets, running Plex in a jail works far better. I would suggest running a standard jail as opposed to the plugin and install Plex from ports/pkg. I have NO PROBLEMS doing it this way and my Plex server is usually running the most up-to-date version.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Because relying on the plugin has caused me enough trouble as it is. My current Plex plugin simply refuses to update. And as I understand it jails are being phased out in favor of actual VM, no?
It's unclear what is actually being "phased out". I plan on using jails for the rest of my life. :)

I do not recommend the Plex plugin; most of us ("us" meaning FreeNAS forum guys with thousands of posts) built plexmediaserver from ports, and have extremely good results. And of course, we have the benefit of instantly being able to update it, as the ports maintainer gets to it, rather than having to wait for the plugin.

Plex works extremely well in FreeBSD. The only "downside" is some of the more esoteric features are available in Linux, but not BSD.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
When dealing with CPU intensive transcoding and for the ease of mounting media datasets, running Plex in a jail works far better. I would suggest running a standard jail as opposed to the plugin and install Plex from ports/pkg. I have NO PROBLEMS doing it this way and my Plex server is usually running the most up-to-date version.
See, scrappy agrees too.

TigerXtrm

Dabbler

Any guides on how to do this, then? Because whenever I tried playing with FreeBSD I couldn't figure anything out and it has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. I can find my way around Ubuntu. FreeBSD is just... alien to me.

scrappy

Patron
Any guides on how to do this, then? Because whenever I tried playing with FreeBSD I couldn't figure anything out and it has left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. I can find my way around Ubuntu. FreeBSD is just... alien to me.

FreeBSD is actually really simple once you get the basics down. Using the FreeBSD package manager isn't a whole lot different than using Apt on a Debian/Ubuntu based system. Instead of apt, you use pkg to install, remove, and update/upgrade packages.

To create a standard jail (Not the Plex plugin) and have the latest packages available in your jail's FreeBSD repository. Edit: /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf to reflect the following:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
	url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

After running # pkg update you will receive the newest FreeBSD packages including Plex Media Server packages. From my experience, Plex versions are usually completely up to date, or will be up to date and available to upgrade from after a week or two. All you have to do now is enter:

# pkg install plexmediaserver
or:
# pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

After installation add the plex service to your /etc/rc.conf file:

plexmediaserver_enable="YES"
or:
plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable="YES"

Save and exit /etc/rc.conf.

It's time to start your plex server:

# service plexmediaserver start
or:
# service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

To check for and run Plex media server updates, type: # pkg update && pkg upgrade -y. If there are any updates available they will be installed automatically. After any upgrade to your Plex Media Server package you must restart Plex media server service with the following for your upgrade to take affect:

# service plexmediaserver restart
or:
# service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart

TigerXtrm

Dabbler
FreeBSD is actually really simple once you get the basics down. Using the FreeBSD package manager isn't a whole lot different than using Apt on a Debian/Ubuntu based system. Instead of apt, you use pkg to install, remove, and update/upgrade packages.

To create a standard jail (Not the Plex plugin) and have the latest packages available in your jail's FreeBSD repository. Edit: /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf to reflect the following:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
	url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest"
}

After running # pkg update you will receive the newest FreeBSD packages including Plex Media Server packages. From my experience, Plex versions are usually completely up to date, or will be up to date and available to upgrade from after a week or two. All you have to do now is enter:

# pkg install plexmediaserver
or:
# pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass

After installation add the plex service to your /etc/rc.conf file:

plexmediaserver_enable="YES"
or:
plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable="YES"

Save and exit /etc/rc.conf.

It's time to start your plex server:

# service plexmediaserver start
or:
# service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

To check for and run Plex media server updates, type: # pkg update && pkg upgrade -y. If there are any updates available they will be installed automatically. After any upgrade to your Plex Media Server package you must restart Plex media server service with the following for your upgrade to take affect:

# service plexmediaserver restart
or:
# service plexmediaserver_plexpass restart

Thanks, that was actually more straight forward than I thought it would be. Got it up and running now.

jmatt3685

Dabbler
Sorry to revive this... but I'm actually wanting to do exactly what Tiger wanted, specifically because I want the extra features I can get in Linux... I can use the "connect to server" but cannot for the life of me figure out how to mount my Freenas share!!! I'd really appreciate some help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.