Missing the import option

neba

Dabbler
I installed TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0, and I can't find Import option in Storage tab. It doesn't look the same to me as in the manual for Truenas Scale. Here is screenshot.

Truenas Scale manual

disk uputstvo.jpg

At my config
disk.jpg

danb35

Hall of Famer
What is it you're wanting to import? If you're wanting to import a pool, I'd think the big button marked import pool would be the thing to use.

neba

Dabbler
No, I would like to insert ntfs drive and copy the files. In general, it bothers me and I think I didn't do something right, so I can't see all the options. I'm still new to all this.

Click on the "Disks" drop-down button at the top of the page.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Then the Docs on the website is vague at best, or incorrect at worst?
Apparently. Because there's no Import Disk button on the Disks screen.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
We just had a thread about this. The recommended way to import NTFS, due to its complexity, is to use SMB via a Windows client.

@anodos , I hope I represented your advice correctly. Please feel free to correct me otherwise.

EDIT: Fixed typo

Last edited:

neba

Dabbler
We just a thread about this. The recommended way to import NTFS, due to its complexity, is to use SMB via a Windows client.

@anodos , I hope I represented your advice correctly. Please feel free to correct me otherwise.
Can you post link to this thread. Thx.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
We just had a thread about this. The recommended way to import NTFS, due to its complexity, is to use SMB via a Windows client.

EDIT: Fixed typo

It's a general bit of advice. Data migrations should always be done protocol-to-protocol to ensure that everything is preserved correctly. This is in broad terms how things are done in the enterprise space, and is generally the best tested / validated.

For example, if you are using an SMB share on a WD mycloud, yank the drive, attach to TrueNAS, mount and copy things over you may run into subtle issues. For example, the MyCloud may write file attributes in a separate directory (or as side-car files) and so when you cut over you get a phone call from Mary in accounting because all of her colored file tags in Finder have disappeared.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Disclaimer: The following is just a personal comment. YMMV / take it for what it's worth.

Note that the above problem isn't just about plugging a USB drive and copying stuff over. You can basically think of it like normalizing data. A lot of thought goes into file-sharing clients about how to make things work in a cross-platform way.

These days though it seems like everyone and their dog is coming up with a new solution to synchronize and move around data between systems. There is often considerably less thought put into the mechanics of how this works. Often data makes it okay, but the devs don't look into edge-cases very closely (or try to preserve metadata -- Color tags for instance).

So... if this is for your day job, test things _very_ carefully. Don't take vendors at their word. Stick to things that you know work correctly. :)

andimattes

Cadet
I'm currently facing the same problem with TrueNAS Scale 23.10.0
There is no Import Disk button not on the Storage or Datasets screen. The disk is detected when being on the disks page but nowhere is the import disk button. May it be the case that this was removed from TrueNAS scale?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm currently facing the same problem with TrueNAS Scale 23.10.0
There is no Import Disk button not on the Storage or Datasets screen. The disk is detected when being on the disks page but nowhere is the import disk button. May it be the case that this was removed from TrueNAS scale?
Yes, the GUI option was removed. Recommended way of migrating NTFS data is to copy via SMB from Windows client to ensure that file metadata is preserved.

brianaker

Cadet
Yes, the GUI option was removed. Recommended way of migrating NTFS data is to copy via SMB from Windows client to ensure that file metadata is preserved.
Was this announced anywhere that allowed feedback before it was removed?

It was a useful feature, having to now resort to using the network for bulk transport is not optimal. I cannot imagine that there was a lot of effort to carry it forward, in particularly on Linux.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
While I am certainly not in favor of all things that iXsystems has done, I think this kind of comments is at best unhelpful. There is a lot of things I cannot imagine and still they are true.

And it is not the best way to get people to help me, if I come to a discussion about a topic I know nothing of, and then start to call people names.

Walter Lite

Cadet
  • Comments are indeed helpful as they stir up action.
  • However, putting comments aside
  • What is the technically accepted manner to bring to bring in data?
  • other than SMB and Windows ?
  • were are the formal docs on this issue?
  • There is a great risk to the stability and security of systems , if features are removed "Ad Hoc"