SOLVED Boot Drive died. Uploaded old config. Pool Status: Offline.

After the step where you export the pool, but before you attempt to re-import anything, what does this output:
Code:
zpool import

Plato.Manchi

Dabbler
After the step where you export the pool, but before you attempt to re-import anything, what does this output:
Code:
zpool import
This is what it says when I run the zpool import
Screenshot 2023-02-14 001635.png

But the Import Pool option in storage tab still doesn't show any options when I click the drop down box

While this is the case, the GUI shows false information (incorrectly presenting the pool as active/imported)?

Plato.Manchi

Dabbler
While this is the case, the GUI shows false information (incorrectly presenting the pool as active/imported)?

While the pool is exported, This is what the storage tab of gui shows. It says there is Unassigned Disk, and that pool status is offline.
Screenshot 2023-02-14 003639.png

And Import Pool shows no options
Screenshot 2023-02-14 003801.png

From what I gather, it should be showing up here as a pool. So yes its showing wrong information

Silly as it may sound, have you rebooted yet while the pool is "really" exported?

Plato.Manchi

Dabbler
Silly as it may sound, have you rebooted yet while the pool is "really" exported?
Just rebooted truenas and that and the Unassigned disk disappeared. I didn't do anything other than reboot.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 010004.png

I did zpool status and got this

Screenshot 2023-02-14 005555.png

The data set shows my pool and everything.

But when I try to setup SMB or access anything it doesn't work.

Just rebooted truenas
While the pool is "really" exported.

Meaning you export it in the command-line. Then confirm with "zpool status". Then reboot.

Pretend the GUI doesn't exist.

Plato.Manchi

Dabbler
While the pool is "really" exported.

Meaning you export it in the command-line. Then confirm with "zpool status". Then reboot.

Pretend the GUI doesn't exist.

Yes I used zpool export Pool1 to export the pool. and then i use zpool status the pool1 doesn't show up
Screenshot 2023-02-14 143531.png

Then I see unassigned disk on storage.
Screenshot 2023-02-14 003639.png

Then I click the restart on truenas GUI and truenas restarts
Screenshot 2023-02-14 143637.png

After it restarts, when I open storage the unassigned disk is gone, and data set shows as if pool is imported.
When I did zpool status, the pool shows up even if I didn't import. All I did is restart.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 143945.png

This is looking like a corrupt config file and/or SCALE's middelware is being buggy. :frown:

As painful as it sounds, is it feasible to install SCALE from scratch, then import your pool and re-configure everything manually? (You'll have to make sure to export Pool1 before you install a fresh copy of SCALE.)

Plato.Manchi

Dabbler
This is looking like a corrupt config file and/or SCALE's middelware is being buggy. :frown:

As painful as it sounds, is it feasible to install SCALE from scratch, then import your pool and re-configure everything manually? (You'll have to make sure to export Pool1 before you install a fresh copy of SCALE.)

aye yooo you genius beautiful person :wink:
Who would have thought if switching it off and on doesn't work then clean install it again
When I clean installed, and clicked import pool, it gave me Pool1 as an option.
So I selected it and now storage shows that pool is online and usage and everything.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 172542.png

So just wondering now should I just create new users and SMB share etc like normal setup?
all my config includes is me creating one username and creating SMB share. So I guess taking 5 min and doing it again is better than importing config

So just wondering now should I just create new users and SMB share etc like normal setup?
Yup. It's less convenient than uploading your config, but since you already know how to reconfigure everything, you should be good to go.

This experience, plus what I've read from others, makes me nervous to switch to SCALE. I'm sticking with Core for as long as possible.

I'm 99% sure you dealt with a corrupt (or invalid syntax) config file and it threw off the SCALE middelware/GUI. (Truthfully, the middleware shouldn't conk out like that, and should have fallen back to some sort of safeguard, rather than imprisoning you in a state of "pool limbo".)

The command-line (terminal, SSH, etc) is always more accurate than the GUI. So lesson learned: if you want to know if your pool and data is still safe and intact, the terminal is a good bet if the GUI seems to be lying to you. :wink:

EDIT: You could offer the config file to the iXsystems' developers for them to analyze it, and link them back to this forum thread. They might be able to find what in the config file might have caused this issue where the GUI/middleware was lying to you about your pool. (The caveat is, you're not dealing with this bug anymore, so you wouldn't be able to offer up any additional information.)

@morganL and @Kris Moore, maybe you might want this config file? Would it be helpful?

@Plato.Manchi: I'm not pressuring you into sharing anything you don't want to share. So it's really up to you. :smile:

Plato.Manchi

Dabbler
Yup. It's less convenient than uploading your config, but since you already know how to reconfigure everything, you should be good to go.

This experience, plus what I've read from others, makes me nervous to switch to SCALE. I'm sticking with Core for as long as possible.

I'm 99% sure you dealt with a corrupt (or invalid syntax) config file and it threw off the SCALE middelware/GUI. (Truthfully, the middleware shouldn't conk out like that, and should have fallen back to some sort of safeguard, rather than imprisoning you in a state of limbo.)

The command-line (terminal, SSH, etc) is always more accurate than the GUI. So lesson learned: if you want to know if your pool and data is still safe and intact, the terminal is a good bet if the GUI seems to be lying to you. :wink:

I'm a programmer so I'm not afraid to dabble in command lines or run commands or create scripts. Just that I'm not at all familiar with even basics of truenas and I tend to trust GUI because its my belief that GUI should never lie. But you get to learn about kinks like these only when something goes wrong and trying to fix it. If everything works then there is nothing to learn about it hahaha

Well good news is I just created a user and did the sharing and all the data seems to be there. I i'm not sure how I can mark this as solved and if I can mark your post as solution but thanks so much.