Missing Advanced Kernel Options

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
I upgraded from TrueNAS 13 to TrueNAS Scale 22 and the manual shows that there should be Kernel options under the Advanced options. When I go there, it doesn't exist. I'd like to enable the autotune function, but the option doesn't exist. Any ideas?

Kernel Advanced Options

1657560299821.png

indivision

Guru
Hm. Good question. I don't have the Kernel panel either. I also don't have any entries in Sysctl from an autotune...

Maybe it's not needed in Scale, was removed from GUI and documentation is outdated?

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
Hm. Good question. I don't have the Kernel panel either. I also don't have any entries in Sysctl from an autotune...

Maybe it's not needed in Scale, was removed from GUI and documentation is outdated?
I think it still exists, maybe it's because it has the old entries from when it was Core and it's disabling it because of that? But at the same time, your box doesn't show either, so that might not make sense. I looked through the issues and didn't see anything related.

indivision

Guru
Hm. Yeah. At some point, I did a clean install of Scale. So, I don't think it is due to migration. I think it's deliberately not there right now.

Could be that they removed it temporarily until they expand it's functionality in a later version?

[I think they would clarify more quickly if you open a ticket about it being different than the documentation.]

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
Hm. Yeah. At some point, I did a clean install of Scale. So, I don't think it is due to migration. I think it's deliberately not there right now.

Could be that they removed it temporarily until they expand it's functionality in a later version?
I'm trying to look through the filesystem for the scripts to see where they might be located. I don't recall where they were originally.

indivision

Guru

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
Google is failing me to find anything meaningful about it. Other than confirmation that it definitely was there at some point: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/to-autotune-or-not-to-autotune-that-is-the-question.95343/
I looked through everything I can think of. I see some references to autotune in grep: /bin/minio: binary file matches and the database files, but not really anywhere else. It's using sysctl values, which are being pulled from the database.

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
I opened a ticket up with IX through the TrueSCALE UI. Not sure if actually worked or not, because I couldn't access the URL it generated, but anyway, we'll see... I referenced this forum post.

Last edited:

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
Meh, it errored out last time on the last ticket I filed. I filed it again and this time it went through.

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
Yeah, so I just got my ticket closed out and my question never truly answered. Very rude too. How unfortunate. I used to have a lot more respect for IX, at my old job I was the System Architect and built around their hardware and software... :(

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
iX sometimes hides options in the interest of protecting users against themselves. The advanced kernel options are still available via the API:
  • midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "autotune": true }'
  • midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "debugkernel": true }'
  • midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "kernel_extra_options": "<additional kernel options>" }'

Redcoat

MVP

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

dasunsrule32

Dabbler
iX sometimes hides options in the interest of protecting users against themselves. The advanced kernel options are still available via the API:
  • midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "autotune": true }'
  • midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "debugkernel": true }'
  • midclt call system.advanced.update '{ "kernel_extra_options": "<additional kernel options>" }'
Yeah, the docs are out of date, which I suggested updating them.