Mirroring of 2 HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaint

Dabbler
Hi,

I'm new to this system and I still have doubts and questions, so please forgive me in advance (and I speak bad english).
I built a new FreeNas system with these specifications:

- Asrock H270M-ITX/ac
- Intel Pentium Processor G4400
- RAM 16GB DDR4
- 2 WD Red 1TB + flash memory (OS)

My idea is to use these system like a nas and personal cloud for my work. I have very important files and I would like to use the second HD like a mirror of the first one.
I didn't uderstand very well the guide and i didn't find other thread where these is specificated.
Possibly I would like to have advice on design of the storage so i can build myself the perfect system.

thanks you all

gpsguy

When you create the pool in volume manager - http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#volume-manager

you can select your 2 x 1TB drives and create a mirrored pool. If you've already created your volume, if you issue the command zpool status from the shell, you can see your current layout. If you have any questions, post the output of that command here, in code tags.

When used, data is written to both drives at the same time, so that if one disk failed, the contents would still be available on the other one.

By the way, there's no need to apologize for your command of the English language. It's fine.

Xaint

Dabbler
When you create the pool in volume manager - http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#volume-manager

you can select your 2 x 1TB drives and create a mirrored pool. If you've already created your volume, if you issue the command zpool status from the shell, you can see your current layout. If you have any questions, post the output of that command here, in code tags.

When used, data is written to both drives at the same time, so that if one disk failed, the contents would still be available on the other one.

By the way, there's no need to apologize for your command of the English language. It's fine.

ifdc3l.png

I can't find the option for the mirroring in the GUI. Any advice?
The pool named "HDPrincipale" is the 1x1TB HD.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# zpool status												
  pool: HDPrincipale															
 state: ONLINE																
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h14m with 0 errors on Sun Nov 12 00:14:05 2017	
config:																		

NAME										  STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM
	   HDPrincipale								  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0
		 gptid/851fb234-a754-11e7-a8a4-7085c2463a4f  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0

errors: No known data errors													

pool: freenas-boot															
 state: ONLINE																
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Tue Dec  5 03:45:22 2017	
config:																		

NAME		STATE	 READ WRITE CKSUM								
	   freenas-boot  ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								
		 da0p2	 ONLINE	   0	 0	 0								

errors: No known data errors

Last edited:

gpsguy

You won't see the option now, since you already created your volume (pool).

To create a mirror after the fact, you would have to do the work from the command line. Search the forums for more information. If you decide to go this route, I would back up your data, just in case you run into an issue.

Generally, we don't recommend that you do this kind of work from the command line. But, it's the only way to add the disk to a mirror after the fact.

Xaint

Dabbler
You won't see the option now, since you already created your volume (pool).

To create a mirror after the fact, you would have to do the work from the command line. Search the forums for more information. If you decide to go this route, I would back up your data, just in case you run into an issue.

Generally, we don't recommend that you do this kind of work from the command line. But, it's the only way to add the disk to a mirror after the fact.

Actualy I haven't important data so i decide to format the HDs, and the mirror option is available. So, now, when eventually one of the HDs will break, my data are protect?
167jrzm.png

gpsguy

Correct.

You will want to set up SMART tests, so that the system can email you if it detects a disk issue.

For any irreplaceable data, I would back it up separately. There are many options. For example you might replicate to a USB drive connected to your workstation and store a copy offsite. Or, you could add another pool (volume) on your server and use ZFS replication. Or, you might backup to a cloud service. These are a few ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.