Migrating zfs to new hardware with RAID Controller

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
Adding a 32GB memory kit to your existing system may be fruitful.

I don't think I've run into any issues with 8GB of RAM. Will more RAM assist in running the video recoding software (zoneminder/blue iris)?

NickF

Guru
ZFS will use any and all ram available to cache files in something called ARC.

The impact on increasing the size of RAM for the specific applications mentioned depends on how you are measuring performance. More RAM will likely improve some aspects of recording playback, but it will likely not impact your ability to add more cameras as an example.

Stux

MVP
I'd agree, the biggest improvement you could make to the current systems performance would be to increase RAM.

Increased RAM will probably mean your ARC cache could go from circa 2-4GB to 24-28GB... which is an order of magnitude.

Alternatively, it would allow you to run virtual machines/apps/containers/services etc if you wanted.

BUT it would not get you ECC, it would not get you better performance from your possible gigabit network, or your disks etc, and it would not get you front-mounted hotswap drive bays etc.

But the hardware that runs FreeNAS 11 should be capable of running TrueNAS core 12 and 13, and TrueNAS Scale.

If you wanted a performance upgrade, perhaps adding a 2.5gbps network card... one that works well...

I've been too long away from the current market to recommend any good server grade solutions...

Something to consider may be building a new system, and repurposing your current one as a backup to the primary... a lot of people go this route after a number of years.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
But the hardware that runs FreeNAS 11 should be capable of running TrueNAS core 12 and 13, and TrueNAS Scale.
Not necessarily. I had an old AMD Phenom II board that simply wouldn't boot with TrueNAS Core 12.

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
Not necessarily. I had an old AMD Phenom II board that simply wouldn't boot with TrueNAS Core 12.

I was able to get upgraded to TrueNAS 13 last night. Ill have to do some more reading to understand what it really means to move to SCALE or if it matters to me.

chuck32

Guru
ZFS will use any and all ram available to cache files in something called ARC.
I also second that more memory is good, coming from 8Gb.

Just wanted to point out, until dragonfish it's only 50 % on scale ;)