Migrating zfs to new hardware with RAID Controller

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
Current: I am currently running FreeNAS. it hosts my plex server, craft files (Laser Cutter & Embroidery, & Cricut), and photo repository. I have been running the server on old consumer PC gear (old gaming PC) with a few updated components. It is less than ideal, but it has server my purposed for 8 years now (wtf, its been that long?). I spend a month or more setting it up, and learning everything I can to be dangerous. The legacy FreeNAS forums were critical for me back then, and now when I need some questions answered. Thanks to everyone here!

What I want: I want to migrate my zfs pool that is connected via sata cables to a "ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4" to a new Dell PowerEdge R510. I am not familiar with RAID controllers and how ZFS pools operate. I want to continue to use the server to host plex and other files, but I would like to add capability to add IP cameras to my network, and record to the TrueNAS with zoneminder, or similar software.

My question: Will I be able to move over my drives, install trueNAS scale on a clean usb drive, and import my pool without issue?

Current Hardware:
6x HITACHI Deskstar 2TB 7200RPM
ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4
RAM: 8 GB RAM
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 cores)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's as simple as moving over the disk drives and importing the pool if the new hardware does not have a RAID controller. If you hook up your disks to a RAID controller there's a good chance you will lose all your data.

Some controllers can be flashed to an IT mode HBA. You need to check if that applies to yours. Or remove it entirely if the motherboard of that server has SATA connectors that cou can hook up to the backplane.

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
It's as simple as moving over the disk drives and importing the pool if the new hardware does not have a RAID controller. If you hook up your disks to a RAID controller there's a good chance you will lose all your data.

Some controllers can be flashed to an IT mode HBA. You need to check if that applies to yours. Or remove it entirely if the motherboard of that server has SATA connectors that cou can hook up to the backplane.
Thanks again. Is there a good set of hardware you'd recommend instead of the Poweredge510 that would support the ZFS directly? Or would it be in my best interest to migrate to a RAID controller setup?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You cannot migrate to a RAID controller setup. ZFS is fundamentally incompatible with RAID controllers!

Read this, please: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...bas-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.139/

Someone who knows Dell hardware - apparently the Poweredge 510 can be ordered with a variant of storage controller options. One being "PERC S100 (software based)". Is this the typical BIOS assisted RAID and can this controller be set to AHCI mode? That would probably be a good fit, then.

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
You cannot migrate to a RAID controller setup. ZFS is fundamentally incompatible with RAID controllers!

Read this, please: https://www.truenas.com/community/r...bas-and-why-cant-i-use-a-raid-controller.139/

Someone who knows Dell hardware - apparently the Poweredge 510 can be ordered with a variant of storage controller options. One being "PERC S100 (software based)". Is this the typical BIOS assisted RAID and can this controller be set to AHCI mode? That would probably be a good fit, then.
Sorry, I put myself down a rabbit hole... I wasn't trying to use ZFS with a raid controller, only asking if I should change from ZFS to a hardware RAID.

Gathering more information, I should target a server that has a ZFS compatible RAID controller like the H200, and flash it to IT mode. Or find hardware without a RAID controller. Any recommendations for alternate hardware?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
One being "PERC S100 (software based)". Is this the typical BIOS assisted RAID and can this controller be set to AHCI mode?
Yeah, that's Dell-speak for chipset SATA. Not typically seen in real-world configurations for R6xx/R7xx models, but occasionally present in lower-end configurations of the R3xx/R4xx/R5xx.
Current Hardware:
6x HITACHI Deskstar 2TB 7200RPM
ASRock Micro ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards H97M PRO4
RAM: Some RAM 8GB?
CPU: A power hungry ancient Intel CPU.
Uhmm... Apart from ECC support, the R510 is a downgrade from your current system. Sure, you could cram in two Westmere six-core CPUs and triple the number of cores relative to the best case on your current system... But Haswell cores are going to be notably faster. And power consumption is going to be much higher on the R510, especially

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Sorry, I put myself down a rabbit hole... I wasn't trying to use ZFS with a raid controller, only asking if I should change from ZFS to a hardware RAID
But why would you do that? ZFS was designed and developed with hundreds of person-years by Sun Microsystems to get rid of hardware RAID once and forever. Hardware RAID is crap. ZFS is way better in keeping your data safe.

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
Uhmm... Apart from ECC support, the R510 is a downgrade from your current system. Sure, you could cram in two Westmere six-core CPUs and triple the number of cores relative to the best case on your current system... But Haswell cores are going to be notably faster. And power consumption is going to be much higher on the R510, especially
Well.. hmmm

My brain defaulted to enterprise server > consumer hardware. I'm still on legacy FreeNAS... Is there a direct path for upgrade to TrueNAS Scale? I'd like to lay the roadwork down for this server hosting my home security camera footage. I thought a hardware "upgrade" was a necessity.

Stux

MVP
Which version of FreeNAS are you currently running?

And yes, the R510 is a downgrade.

I take it what you are looking for is fancy rack mounted hardware with removable front bays?

But some dell raid controllers can be reflashed to IT mode.

Last edited:

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
I take it what you are looking for is fancy rack mounted hardware with removable front bays?
Yeah, plus I just thought it would be an upgrade without actually comparing specs.

Which version of FreeNAS are you currently running?

FreeNAS-11.2-U8
Made it home from the office and the cpu is below for the record.
CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 cores)

Stux

MVP
A somewhat dated list of LSI controllers and dell controllers that can be cross-flashed to LSI HBA (IT) firmware

Stux

MVP
Anyway, you should start by upgrading your current system.

I believe you need to go to 11.3, then 12. Working your way up to 13.0 latest version of core.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Even if the system is going to be replaced, check how much RAM you have and make sure it's at least 16 G before upgrading.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Some RAID controllers come with an IT mode, which seems to be an alternative for ZFS, but it is not. An HBA flashed to IT mode with a specific firmware is fundamentally different from changing a configuration to IT mode.

Stux

MVP
Even if the system is going to be replaced, check how much RAM you have and make sure it's at least 16 G before upgrading.

The recommended minimum is 8GB, and upgrading to 16GB may be nice, but is not required

atlbuckeye

Dabbler
It may be easier to recommend some alternatives given a budget.

Im not sure I'm even going to upgrade at this point. If my performance can be upgraded from what I have now for the $200 range, I'd be ok with that. Otherwise it sounds like I should just stick with what I have, and upgrade from freeNAS to TrueNAS

NickF

Guru
Im not sure I'm even going to upgrade at this point. If my performance can be upgraded from what I have now for the $200 range, I'd be ok with that. Otherwise it sounds like I should just stick with what I have, and upgrade from freeNAS to TrueNAS

Adding a 32GB memory kit to your existing system may be fruitful.
As an example, and I have no affiliation with this seller at all, that you can get one for about 50 bucks these days, now that DDR5 is mainstream