Caviar Black drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBerns

Cadet
I'm planning on building myself a FreeNAS machine. I might change some of these, but so far I've picked out the following:
Intel Xeon E3-1220 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core Server Processor
SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+-F Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1155 Intel C202 DDR3 1333
Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive x 6
Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module - 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1333 MHz - ECC - Unbuffered - 240-pin DIMM x 4
Fractal Design Define Mini Black Micro ATX Silent PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 support and 2 x 120mm Fractal Design Silent Fans

My question is whether the caviar black drives are suitable for RAIDZ or if I would have to get the RE4 drives instead (I really don't want to because they're significantly more expensive). I know that the caviar black drives have issues with normal RAID due to the whole TLER issue, but I don't know whether that applies to ZFS RAID since it's not a true RAID.

b1ghen

Contributor
No problem going with consumer drives since ZFS interacts with the drives directly, no logic in between that gets screwed up when a drive does something it sees as "not kosher", that is one of the advantages of ZFS.

Status
Not open for further replies.