Migrating Volume to new install

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH4Pz

Explorer
I really thought i understood computers reasonably well... until i started using freenas lol i guess my issue is with permissions, i installed syncthing and it ruined my other jails permissions and ive been trying to follow guides but they fail or dont react the same way as the guide says, and having never used shell much before, i have no idea wth im doing :confused: !! i think maybe ive just muddied the waters too much, so i think its best to do a clean install, and import my volume, but just want to verify the best way to do this? Is it just a matter of wiping my thumb drives, reinstalling freeNAS, and clicking import volume from volume manager (or do i import disk?), and then reinstalling my jails/plugins? an should i be saving snapshots from current install, or they arent needed? also is there a way to remove all permissions globally, as im the only one who has access to it, and that'd make things so much easier!! Thanks in advance :D

D

dlavigne

Reinstalling should be enough as the OS is separate from the storage disks.

Were you able to get your system setup?

CH4Pz

Explorer
Reinstalling should be enough as the OS is separate from the storage disks.

Were you able to get your system setup?
I did, sort of.. i done a factory reset and imported the volume, and set up the shares ok, but was sort of back to square one with the permissions on plugins. Plex was always easy plugin to do, so i set up as unix perm. ticked all write/read/exe boxes with root/wheel as u/g and everything reinstalled as usual, which it did this time too, but none of my plex apps would play (TV one wouldnt even open) and would error saying cannot play this file (this method has worked fine before?! maybe being third time this week had something to do with it, but it was first since the reset) so i tried setting these recursively which instantly turned the plugin off, unable to turn on, and screen said (sorry im going off memory, but think it was) pam.d start error? then every couple minutes it says "plexmediaserver_1 etc/login.conf is world writable" and then "unknown class daemon" which is what all the apps (trying to do plex, transmission and syncthing) seem to keep doing after recursively being set?? i then tried virtual machine method but win7/win10/mint/ubuntu all fail to start, even though virtualization is on in my bios? any ideas? or should i start a new thread, and trouble shoot individually? thanks :)

D

dlavigne

Way too much circular text :smile: Please start a new thread that clearly states what you did and what errors you are getting. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.