Migrating to a new Volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAC

Contributor
My original FreeNAS system consisted of a single volume (Data) consisting of three 3TB drives set up as RAIDZ1. I have since added another volume (Data1) of six 4TB drives set up as RAIDZ2. My goal is to move all my content (and jails) over to the new RAIDZ2 volume (Data1) and run off that.

Thought I might ask the easiest way to move all my stuff to the new volume so I can delete the old one. Moving the data is no-brainer but I'd like to move my Plugins (Plex, ownCloud, etc.) with no probs.

I guess I could reinstall them, but that would be a pain.

Thnx,

-TAC

nojohnny101

Wizard
ZFS send/receive comes to mind first.

What version are you running (9.3 or 9.10)? It might be an opportunity to clean up your jails and any extraneous templates you have. Backing up and then restoring a plex database is trivial. I'm not familiar with owncloud though.

TAC

Contributor
I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.1 (just updated my profile).

nojohnny101

Wizard
How many jails do you currently have? Did you create those jails in 9.3 and then upgrade the machine to 9.10 because if so, the jail template and other related things changed in 9.10 and I would that opportunity to wipe the jails and create them fresh to ensure compatibility going forward.

Have you looked into a simple CLI zfs send/receive?

TAC

Contributor
I have 4 jails that I care about and created them in 9.3.

I really haven't looked into zfs send/recieve but I think I should. I do have a second FreeNAS machine I built for messing around with I should use.

Shouldn't I be able to use send/receive to 'backup' the Data volume and then restore it to the new volume? This would really be no different that covering from a catastrophic system failure.

nojohnny101

Wizard
Shouldn't I be able to use send/receive to 'backup' the Data volume and then restore it to the new volume? This would really be no different that covering from a catastrophic system failure.

Correct. The zfs send/receive command, from my understanding, is simply a CLI way to do the same thing that taking a snapshot and replicating it to another FreeNAS box (or zfs system) through the GUI would do. Do you have snapshots of your original volume "data"? Are the snapshots high level recursive? You want to move all the datasets from "data" to "data1" correct?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

TAC

Contributor
I've written and used this procedure to do what I believe you are trying to do:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...te-data-from-one-pool-to-a-bigger-pool.40519/

I hope it helps.

Thanks depasseg, this looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Quick questions on step #1. From System | System Dataset, should I just change the System dataset pool from the current selection of 'Data' to my boot device 'freenas-boot' which would be my Intel 320 SSD 40GB?

When finished I would then move the .system back to 'Data'?

Thnx.

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Quick questions on step #1. From System | System Dataset, should I just change the System dataset pool from the current selection of 'Data' to my boot device 'freenas-boot' which would be my Intel 320 SSD 40GB?
Yes. If you change the option using the GUI, all the data (logs, graph data) gets moved automatically.

maglin

Patron
A problem that I ran into was I didn't create a new dataset for jails initially and used the top level dataset you get when you first build your pool. This created problems with the templates moving over. Everything moved and worked but I couldn't add any new jails. I ended up wiping my jails and starting fresh. It goes much faster the 2nd and 3rd time you do it as you already understand permissions and mounting storage inside a jail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.