SOLVED Advice on migrating data

Status
Not open for further replies.

selfsame

Cadet
I currently have FreeNAS-9.10 running with a single Volume of 3 drives (2TB, 4TB, 4TB) for ~9TB total in a non-RAID ZFS pool. The 2TB drive was complaining a while ago and I'd like to decommission it, and at the same time grow the pool and move to a simple mirrored RAID config.

I bought two 8TB drives, and my plan was to create a new Volume with the two new drives mirrored, then move the data over, and eventually add the two 4TB drives from the old Volume to the new Volume in a mirrored RAID. My current Volume is less than 80% full (6.9TiB used), so I should have enough room to move the data over to the mirrored 8TB vdev, but afaik this is going to be a lot of manual labor to either reinstall jails (not sure how well they will transfer across Volumes) or re-wire the jails' storage targets assuming they even work after migrating.

Am I missing an easier way to do this? I don't have a ton of drive bays, and couldn't stomach the extra cost of getting 10TB drives to attempt to cleanly migrate the Volume.

Any advice on how to save time and effort would be appreciated.

danb35

Hall of Famer

selfsame

Cadet
YES! Thank you so much. That guide was perfect. Took close to 24 hours to migrate the data but I'm currently down to 65% used and upgraded to a mirrored RAID. That went much easier than expected. Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.