Migrating boot drive, but it is also a swap device

Laurici

Cadet
Hi,

I'm running TrueNAS Core 12.0 on a Core i5 3570K with 8GB of RAM and using a 240GB SSD as a boot drive, and with a 16GB cache partition (recommended during installation as I'm less than 16GB RAM). I want to transition the boot drive onto a different 120GB boot drive so I can repurpose the 240GB one as a jail for a plex server.

From what I have read, doing the migration is as simple as saving the config, installing TruNAS Core onto the new SSD, loading in the saved cache and bob's your uncle. I just wanted to check if there being a cache partition created a separate problem or needed any extra steps.

Thanks for any help, I hope I have included enough detail for you.

danb35

Hall of Famer
with a 16GB cache partition (recommended during installation as I'm less than 16GB RAM).
You're confusing cache (which the installer would never configure) with swap (which it offers to configure any time you're installing on a suitably-sized SSD, irrespective of how much RAM your system has). What you've read is correct, and the swap partition isn't an issue at all. But your limited RAM is likely to be an issue, particularly if you want to run Plex.

Laurici

Cadet
Swap, yes, apologies for creating confusion. So in practical terms, when installing TrueNAS Core on the new SSD it will offer to create a swap partition as well and I can just load the configuration anyway.

Thanks for the tip on RAM and Plex as well. I'll only ever be running one streaming client so hopefully it won't be a problem but at least I know if there is a problem it's likely to be needing an upgrade in RAM.

danb35

Hall of Famer
when installing TrueNAS Core on the new SSD it will offer to create a swap partition as well and I can just load the configuration anyway.
Correct. And there's no persistent data in swap, so you should be fine.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I've edited the thread title to clarify things, in case someone runs across this thread.