Micro ATX Home NAS with Upgrade path. Suggestions Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pro lamer

Guru

rvassar

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Deduplication takes a lot of resources. It will not work well for you if you don't have a lot more memory.

I tried it once with 32GB and the system performance was very poor, slow. I would estimate that between 64 and 128GB of memory (or more) would be needed because the system keeps the table of duplicates in memory. If it runs out of memory, it needs to put the table to disk which means it needs to lookup (on disk) where the data is, then fetch the data, so two disk actions for each read. That makes it work slower than half as fast as it would have been otherwise. If there is enough RAM, it can keep the whole table in memory, then it is pretty fast. Unless they have redesigned that since I looked into it.

Last edited:

Senti_Mentel

Dabbler
Well I am planning to assemble and configure the first iteration of this system sometime next week, and I am continuing to plan an upgrade path. So far I am drawn towards the supermicro MBD-X11SSH-F-O paired with a Xeon E3-1220 v5. This should be more the acceptable for my needs even for quite some time and is honestly overkill IMHO. I would prefer to maintain a small form factor even with a completely brand new build as this is only for home use. My question is that the QVL for supported memory is not so useful from supermicros website and I was wondering if anyone had any specific ECC memory that would be affordable and would "for sure" be compatible. At least unless the ram were defective. Any Ideas?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
ECC memory that would be affordable
Did you consider using used hardware or have you determined that new hardware is a requirement? You can get a Xeon E5 processor and registered ECC memory for a lot less money and have a very capable system.

anmnz

Patron
So far I am drawn towards the supermicro MBD-X11SSH-F-O paired with a Xeon E3-1220 v5.

I was looking into these parts for my NAS upgrade recently. Summary of what I concluded in case it's of interest:

* The X11SSM-F makes more sense and is cheaper

* The E3-1230 v5 is significantly more powerful and costs only a little more

* But as @Chris Moore keeps saying, the current bang-for-the-buck and future expandibility of used Xeon E5 with RDIMMs is just *so* much greater, I went that way in the end

* And of course you need to do your own research, because all these comparisons depend on prices, which could be very different for you now than for me back then.

Senti_Mentel

Dabbler
I would be perfectly happy going with used hardware so long as it still meets my needs, I just haven't seen a system with this Mobo/CPU/ram combination. Are there any pre built systems using this hardware? And I had not seen the X11SSM-F untill shortly after making my last post but I do agree, it is a better option. I will look into the CPU you suggested though. Greatly appreciated.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I just haven't seen a system with this Mobo/CPU/ram combination.
Did you click on the button in my signature that says, "Emily NAS"?
I put my money where my mouth is and use the hardware I suggest.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Senti_Mentel

Dabbler
Did you click on the button in my signature that says, "Emily NAS"?

I have yes, and the one thing that keeps me from researching that setup further is it's form factor. Used parts would be fine but I definitely prefer micro ATX for my used.
I might revisit this at a later date but for now small form factor is a requirement. If you have had any experience with the board I had mentioned or the less expensive model that anmnz had mentioned specificly ram combination with I would appreciate it though.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Senti_Mentel

Dabbler
You don't need a 48 bay rack mount chassis to use the system board I pointed out. You can put it in a regular ATX tower.
Let me point you at an example I just did for someone else:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?posts/460201/

I appreciate your point, and like I said I very well might re visit this later but for now I am looking into the board I mentioned. So again if you have experience with either of the afore mentioned mobo's I would appreciate it.
Again thank you for the input in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.