Looking for a suitable Micro-ATX case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No. It's PCIe only, but it's only 2x. But it's overkill for boot devices since there are no cheap PCIe SSDs. It's stuck in utter uselessness. An X11SSM-F presents all four lanes in a PCIe slot (including those from the extra NICs) and it's still cheaper after adding a PCI card to M.2 adapter.

Stux

MVP
No. It's PCIe only, but it's only 2x. But it's overkill for boot devices since there are no cheap PCIe SSDs. It's stuck in utter uselessness. An X11SSM-F presents all four lanes in a PCIe slot (including those from the extra NICs) and it's still cheaper after adding a PCI card to M.2 adapter.

Except in a UNAS810A case, 3rd PCIe slot can't really be used.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Hmm, that changes things somewhat.

garym

Dabbler
I didn't specifically want 4 NICS. I was looking at a simpler but similar X11 (don't recall which right now) with just 2 that'd let me do link aggregation, but the SSH-LN4F-O was there right beside it smiling at me for a meager 5 bucks more, or something, so I just went for it figuring "ah, why not?!".
Run freenas under ESXi and you will use all 4 nic ports. I also look for value, you should be able to disable unwanted ports in the BIOS. Anybody with this board, can you confirm if this is so?

Juan Manuel Palacios

Contributor
Hey guys!

My build is mostly complete, with just a few issues left to sort out (e.g. improved cable management), but with FreeNAS 11 already installed and booted from a flash drive connected to the onboard USB slot.

FreeNAS is, however, booted in legacy BIOS mode. I first tried booting in UEFI but the board would just not see the boot device. Anyone know if this is possible with the SuperMicro X11-SSH-LN4F? Does it / can it be enabled somewhere? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.