A good micro-ATX case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Gotta discuss something... so... miniITX is not for my NAS, micro-ATX is.
Using the Define Mini myself... although it's not much smaller than a regular Define.

So any suggestions? Smallest possible with mATX support, 6 drives. Preferably hotswapable. :)

My favorite so far is Lian Li V650. Although ATX support and 7 drive cages, it's preferable to just use mATX in it. Also, only 2 drives are hotswap (what were they thinkin?)

http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v650/

JimPhreak

Contributor
Using the Define Mini myself... although it's not much smaller than a regular Define.

So any suggestions? Smallest possible with mATX support, 6 drives. Preferably hotswapable. :)

Doubt you're gonna find a micro atx case that 6 hot swappable drives but there are plenty of good small micro atx case options such as the Xigmatek Gigas, the Fractal Node, Lian Li V351B, etc.

underpickled

Contributor

I liked the Arc Mini R2... should hit retailers soon.
Why won't mITX work for you? If you only need 6 drives you don't need an HBA. Because I was only going to do 6 drives, I didn't want to waste space on optical bays, which is why I didn't go with the Define Mini or Arc Mini. For case recommendations it would help to know what else you need to fit. Component selection should be priority, and then find a case that works the best for it.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Well if i were to build a miniITX i would need new drives. Preferably 2.5". Also i wan't ECC and IPMI and 6 SATA connections. :p

underpickled

Contributor
I'm not sure I understand why you'd need new drives of a different size. What does that have to do with the motherboard? Also the mini itx board I ordered has 6 sataIII ports, IPMI, and ECC.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sir.Robin

Guru
Heat. And fitting all 6 3.5" in a mini itx seems pretty cramped up to me.

What motherboard is that you bought??

underpickled

Contributor
Heat. And fitting all 6 3.5" in a mini itx seems pretty cramped up to me.

What motherboard is that you bought??

I got the ASRock E3C226D2I, but there are other similar options if you look at ivy bridge processors. Also heat isn't a problem if you carefully consider the case/cooling and your drives. Look up the Node 304 as one example... The drives all have some space between them and the fans blow directly through them all and exhausts out the back. Get WD Reds or something like that and you won't have to worry about heat... They consume a little over 4 watts during read/write. Obviously it depends on personal preference too, but I think the concerns you've expressed can be dealt with in design.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi the_tox,

You get the board yet? I'm very curious how it's working\going to work out for you!

-Will

underpickled

Contributor
Hi the_tox,

You get the board yet? I'm very curious how it's working\going to work out for you!

-Will
I'll have an answer for you next weekend. I should have all parts by next week.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I got the ASRock E3C226D2I, but there are other similar options if you look at ivy bridge processors. Also heat isn't a problem if you carefully consider the case/cooling and your drives. Look up the Node 304 as one example... The drives all have some space between them and the fans blow directly through them all and exhausts out the back. Get WD Reds or something like that and you won't have to worry about heat... They consume a little over 4 watts during read/write. Obviously it depends on personal preference too, but I think the concerns you've expressed can be dealt with in design.

Well as i said, i would need to buy new drives. The ones i got is a bit hot. Put that togheter in a cramped case... well.
And if i were to buy all new drives.... why not go 2.5"? WD even has the RED series in 2.5". Saves room and heats less.

The Node 304 seems very nice, but power cabling do get messed up because of the HDD cages. Even if one go 2.5".

underpickled

Contributor

Sir.Robin

Guru
I love how that case looks. If I went uATX that's what I would have gotten. How's the cooling? That was my only concern.

You have 2x 140mm in front, 1x in back and optional side panel and top. So you can have quite some airflow if you wan't.
However, HDD cage is sideways to the airflow in front, so the airflow is a bit obstructed by this.

Other than that and that since i don't use the 5.25" externals the case could have been a bit smaller (as in lower). Good cable management. + for factory mounted sound dampening material.

JTT0

Explorer
I'll have an answer for you next weekend. I should have all parts by next week.

How is it working for you? I am considering the same Motherboard using the U-NAS NSC-800 case.

underpickled

Contributor
How is it working for you? I am considering the same Motherboard using the U-NAS NSC-800 case.

I've been having some IPMI issues, but otherwise everything works well with the board. Been running since October with no problems other than getting KVM over IPMI... and that used to work, so I suspect a Java issue rather than a board issue.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
Did you get your U-nas 800 going? I have mine working with no problems so far. I have just ordered server grade mobo, CPU and memory. I am ecc all the way!

The gear in my U-nas is non ecc. That's why I bought server grade after going with freenas.

JTT0

Explorer
Did you get your U-nas 800 going? I have mine working with no problems so far. I have just ordered server grade mobo, CPU and memory. I am ecc all the way!

The gear in my U-nas is non ecc. That's why I bought server grade after going with freenas.

Right now, I am still planning out my build. I am waiting to purchase the U-Nas NSC-800 until I can get the build where I want it. How is the noise level with the 1U Power Supply? That is one of my biggest concerns right now. It will most likely sit in my theatre room and noise is of concern.

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
I found your other post on overclockers.... The noise from my psu is none. Very quiet even if I put my ear next to it. I have second u-nas on the way...

Sir.Robin

Guru
Looks really schweet! What controller/hba do you use for your drives on this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECCfrenaslover

Explorer
I went with the choir here....m1015 which is turning into a headache trying to flash it to IT mode. My network runs only Macs and I have no windows units. I may have to find someone here in the forum that is local to me and help me flash 2 of them. It worked fine on raid but I do not want that option.

Anyone in Tacoma/Olympia area ?

Status
Not open for further replies.