Merry Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, the more I look at that card, the more I hate the stock cooling. It looks like they basically have the fan placed sort-of over the silicon, and since they've tried to make it so it fits-in-a-slot.

I see the Radeon HD 7750 apparently has a 75W TDP with GDDR5, so that's obviously not really very stressy. My guess is something like this would be sufficient. Though it would seen to make the card take at least two slots, maybe three. :smile:

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's hilarious how this thread took this turn. My Dell S2409W display is just fine for the home, although I do think I'd like the 27" display, but I'm satisfied for now.

Who recalls (I mean actually used) a green text monitor? I had a 9" monitor and a 9-pin dot matrix printer and that was hot shit back in the day. Then we upgraded to something like a 21-pin dot matrix printer and eventually I could afford a 16 color 12" monitor. And to be honest, that wasn't that long ago. It's like I recall 78 RPM records, 45 RPM records, and of course 33 1/3 RPM records (still in limited production), when real to real tapes were all the rage (that actually lasted a long time), and 8-track tapes came and went, then cassette tapes and cassette tapes went through a long phase where the tape formulations changed a few times, metal being the highest quality, and Dolby sound processing came out, and I recall CD music media and how high of a quality that was and enthusiasts hated the change, and of course CD is still the standard in the local stores. Now digital music is still being sold as compressed audio files, well unless you can buy flac format files but I don't know where that would be.

You know I'm just trying to change the subject.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As much as you might think I'd like green, yellow was better. :smile:

Ah, fondly recalling the days of the AT&T UNIX PC. Or the nifty Fortune 32:16 whose drive noises I can still hear in my head.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
It's hilarious how this thread took this turn. My Dell S2409W display is just fine for the home, although I do think I'd like the 27" display, but I'm satisfied for now.

Who recalls (I mean actually used) a green text monitor? I had a 9" monitor and a 9-pin dot matrix printer and that was hot shit back in the day. Then we upgraded to something like a 21-pin dot matrix printer and eventually I could afford a 16 color 12" monitor. And to be honest, that wasn't that long ago. It's like I recall 78 RPM records, 45 RPM records, and of course 33 1/3 RPM records (still in limited production), when real to real tapes were all the rage (that actually lasted a long time), and 8-track tapes came and went, then cassette tapes and cassette tapes went through a long phase where the tape formulations changed a few times, metal being the highest quality, and Dolby sound processing came out, and I recall CD music media and how high of a quality that was and enthusiasts hated the change, and of course CD is still the standard in the local stores. Now digital music is still being sold as compressed audio files, well unless you can buy flac format files but I don't know where that would be.

You know I'm just trying to change the subject.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
My first computer was a Franklin ACE 500. Good memories of playing lots of phantasie and telengard on a green text monitor.

joeschmuck

Old Man

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well that was kinda the point, I can bump the display size rather than scaling. But to get a similar PPI to what I have at 4K you need a 40" monitor. (I think they call those "televisions"). It'd solve a lot of problems though.

Though I was looking at a Samsung UN48JS9000 yesterday and the pixel clarity on that seems very good, though what I really need to do is to figure out how to generate a 4K video signal and actually see real text on the screen, maybe I can scam Best Buy into letting me do something to check it out in-store. Hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.