Memory SWAP, should I increase RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkman

Patron
Run initial SMART tests on the drive, burn it in with badblocks, and then run SMART again to verify, before putting it on your spare shelf. You should have plenty of time to exercise that drive in order to feel safe it's not going to suffer infant mortality.

Stux

MVP
Not 100% convince on this spare on a shelf concept.

Drives can fail/deteriorate in storage.

Essentially assuming a drive you burned in x months/years ago is not going to die shortly after use is not a valid assumption.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not 100% convince on this spare on a shelf concept.

Drives can fail/deteriorate in storage.

Essentially assuming a drive you burned in x months/years ago is not going to die shortly after use is not a valid assumption.
Most of the traumatic events have already happened by then, so failure rates should be close to those for drives which are in use, for somewhat similar power-on hours.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sure.

It´s possible to use a drive as spare with automatically replacment in case of drive fails?
If it is, can I program to run SMART test for example?

Because if I buy a new drive and did not use, I will lose the warranty and do not know if it´s continuous working.
To answer your question, YES, you can run a SMART test on the designated hot spare drive just like on any other drive. With your machine being business oriented having a hot spare is not a bad idea. I think the best reason to have a hot spare is when you do not have physical access to the system to replace the failed hard drive within a reasonable period of time.

On a different similar topic, I don't recall you stating what your FreeNAS boot device is. If it's a USB Flash drive, I'd recommend you replace it with a cheap 60GB to 120GB SSD to reduce the future errors you are apt to see when the USB Flash drive starts to fail.

Smarley

Explorer
Yes, I boot from pen drive.

I have a 500Gb HD original from the server without use maybe I can start with it.
I will follow your sugestion and do some changes:
- More 16Gb of RAM
- One spare drive
- SSD for OS

As I use rsync.net service I think that 2 drives in RAID it´s a good number, and they have 8k hour of livetime diference between both.

Smarley

Explorer

Huib

Explorer
Ok.... so now I'm lost. the op has 20 gig's of data and states they are mainly some invoices. that sounds like data he will not often use. then he says his arc fills up when using rsync and everyone jumps on the memory wagon.

1) rsync has to read each file and transfer it the first time around. that will put it in arc. he has more data then memory so yes... his arc will Max out as it should.
2) adding more mem will prevent this if he adds more mem than he has storage but is that really the solution?

When he will have 500 gig's of small files in my testing at least rsync will be horrible. why not advice him to add a bit of ram (4 gig's more should already be OK for his load... I mean... 500 gig's in 10 years! 1 gig per tb. With that fill rate it will last him his full working career) and use snapshots and replication as oppose to rsync?

I'm still a n00b but this recommendation I just don't understand.

I hope I'm wrong so I will learn again but the 'add more ram' mantra seems a bit to drilled in acc. to what I've seen until now.

Ok. you can burn me to the ground now. I can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.