Poor/Slow throughput

Status
Not open for further replies.

icsy7867

Contributor
I know there are a lot of these threads, and I have read through a lot of them and tried several different things. I will try to go through what I know:

Build
Running through VM Player (I know not Ideal! But my space is limited in my apartment)
DDR3 10GB (Started at 6, and have been bumping up to see if there is any performance increase)
AMD FX-8120 8 Core Processor (Using 6 vCPU's, started with 2)
AMD-V Enabled (This actually increase performance a little, was at about 32-35MB/s, and now is around 35-40MB/s)
OS Installed on an SSD (If that makes a difference...), 4 x 1.5TB Hard drives directly imported into the VM
Using latest stable Freenas (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950)
Using Raidz

I also enabled Autotune and rebooted. Similarly I disabled compression entirely to see what sort of difference this made.

Boosting VM specs did not really seem to change a whole lot or increase throughput.
I see about 35-40MB/s and about 28-30 MB/s using sFTP.

I don't think it is my network. Another Windows machine has a share, and I can transfer/write to it at 90+ MB/s. I am a little worried it is my CPU, a CPU with a higher per core throughput may be ideal, but I was thinking I should be able to get at least get 50+MB/s. I know using a VM I probably wont fully saturate my network, but I though I could at least get 500mbps.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them! I hope I can get this working with more preferable speeds. I already have openvpn and my owncloud jails setup as desired and they are working fantastically.

Thanks for your time! I know it looks like people post these threads multiple times a day. I have read through a lot of them and cant figure anything out. Sorry if I missed anything, and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Running through VM Player (I know not Ideal! But my space is limited in my apartment)
That's most likely your issue. VMware player, as far as I know, does not support passing hardware devices to the VM. While it is entirely possible to virtualize FreeNAS, you really should be doing it on VMware ESXi with known supported hardware for both ESXi, FreeBSD 9.3 and PCI passthrough (VT-d). Because you're running Player, you're never going to get anywhere near native performance.

icsy7867

Contributor
Sure enough,

Installed Freenas on a USB stick on the machine, and I am getting 80-100MB/s! I will just boot to the HD and go back to windows when necessary. I dont use that desktop very often anyways.

:D thanks for your response

Status
Not open for further replies.