Tuning dell machine RAM and CPU usage over Iscsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giulio

Cadet
Good day.
I am writing depressed for my inability to understand how to make a functional machine DELL Precision T7400 I want to use as iSCSI SAN.

The Machine:
Dell Precision T7400, with 2 Xeon E5410 CPUs (total 8-Core), 16 GB DDR2 ECC RAM, 4 drives from Western Digital 1TB RED connected to the SAS controller 6/ir, 2 SSD 128Gb, 4 network cards Intel PRO / 1000 MT Dual Port

The problem:
Using the machine as iSCSI target from ESXi 5.5 host, transfer files from 100Gb (single file) the FreeNAS machine uses 100% CPU and memory usage starts to rise, continues to rise up to fill the ram, and starts to use the sWAP, came to use 1 GB of swap (out of 16 available) the machine locks.
Not by error messages of any kind, it just stops responding both the iSCSI target, and the web console, and the console terminal, and the only thing you turn it off by removing the power supply.

Tested configurations:
Configuring the Pool with raid 10 and ZFS2, tried to set the iSCSI target to a file or device, try to align all the configurable connection between iscsi freenas and esxi, tried to set the dataset or the storage zvol block size to 512, tried to remove the round robin balancing across multiple network cards, and only use 1 single, and then tried to activate memory tuning with autotune and hand.

I do not know really what to do, I spent dozens of hours on the internet looking for possible performance optimizations and the best configuration, but the problem persists.

I do not have performance problems, before the machine locks with both iSCSI and CIFS that I speed read and write to 180MB / s

All the firmware of hardware it's at the last update.

Every indication is welcome.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.